This Mexican Style Breakfast Casserole is hearty, packed with meat and veggies and topped with salsa and cilantro. It’s gluten free and can easily be made dairy free.
My boyfriend and I love going to a little breakfast place and getting their delicious omelettes. He got the Mexican one last time which inspired me to make this casserole. All the ingredients are the same, but I did add cilantro on top because he loves it. Chorizo, beans, veggies, and cheese make this so flavorful and a great way to start the day.
Prep Ahead for the Week
This is such a great dish to prep for the week and then you’ll have a quick breakfast every morning with little thought and time put in. I always re-warm it in the air fryer, but a microwave would work great too. It takes a little time to make, but so worth it to have ready for multiple days.
Dairy Free and Paleo Options
This can easily be made dairy free by leaving the cheese out or using a dairy free cheese. I don’t think too much flavor would be lost by leaving it out, but it is a great addition if you can have it. If you leave the beans out then this would be paleo. I’ve been able to eat beans so they have become a part of my diet, but they aren’t the foundation of this recipe and I think it would work great without them if you can’t tolerate them.
Chorizo- I used Siete Chorizo seasoning with some ground pork because I couldn’t find ground chorizo. This is a great option or finding a recipe online would work as well.
Beans- Pinto beans are used because they are a favorite, but black beans would work great here too! You could also leave them out if you prefer.
Cheese- Pepper Jack cheese is used for a little added spice, but cheddar or monterey jack would always be so good! A dairy free cheese or goat cheese would also work.
Chili Lime Sauce- I used Sir Kensington’s Chili Lime Sauce, but a smilier sauce would work great. Primal Kitchen makes a Chipotle Lime mayo that would also be delicious. My boyfriend said this sauce on top really helped pull the dish together, so while it can be skipped, it is highly recommended.
I know you will love this Mexican style breakfast casserole because it’s hearty and flavorful. Here are some more breakfast casseroles to try:
- Butternut Squash Goat Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Paleo Sausage Zucchini Breakfast Casserole
- Greek Breakfast Casserole (paleo)
- Paleo BLT Breakfast Bake
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Mexican Style Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound ground chorizo*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 jalapeños, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilis
- 1 16 oz pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cheese, pepper jack or cheddar
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- diced avocado
- chili lime sauce/mayo*
- chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 375° and line a 13×9 pan with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet, cook the chorizo over medium/high heat until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Scoop into the prepared pan, spreading evenly, and place the pan back on the stove- no need to wash it.
- Add olive oil to the pan and add in the onion, jalapeño, salt and garlic powder. Cook over medium heat until they start to get tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the can of green chilis and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Scoop this mixture over the chorizo in the pan.
- Add the drained beans and top with the shredded cheese. Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and add the milk. Whisk well and pour over the mixture in the pan. Bake for 40-43 minutes, until the middle is set.
- Top with any desired toppings. I used salsa, avocado, a chili lime sauce and cilantro.
- Enjoy warm and keep leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Leave a Comment