This Paleo Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake has all the flavors of a cinnamon roll, but made easier! Gluten free, dairy free, and so delicious!
Oh, this coffee cake is so good! I've expressed my love for coffee cake in the past with my Paleo Pumpkin Coffee Cake and it has been far too long since I've shared a recipe for another one. This is inspired by another delicious breakfast treat- cinnamon rolls, but made so much easier! A simple sweet cake, a thick cinnamon sugar swirl, and a delicious glaze! Perfection!
This coffee cake is so moist that it doesn't need a glaze, but why would I leave off such a delicious topping? Two of the things that makes this cake stand out is the Vietnamese Cinnamon and Vanilla Extract. This cinnamon is no ordinary cinnamon- it is bold, more flavorful, and makes me never want to use traditional cinnamon again! The vanilla extract is the real deal, not imitation, and adds just the perfect amount of vanilla flavor.
I also love what the company is all about. They are Fair Trade (learn more about that in my paleo fudgy brownie post), organic, and sustainably source their spices. They are a company that I always feel good about supporting!
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is coffee cake called coffee cake?
Coffee cake is named for the fact that is enjoyed with coffee. It's more of a casual cake, great to serve in the morning.
Is there coffee in coffee cake?
No, there is no coffee is in the cake. It is meant to be enjoyed with coffee, but can be enjoyed with any warm beverage you enjoy.
How do I store coffee cake?
This is best stored covered in the fridge for up to a week. If you want to rewarm it, place it in the oven or air fryer for a few minutes.
This is the perfect breakfast for Christmas or just a treat to have around if you're expecting guests for the holidays.
Eating a piece of this tastes just like a cinnamon roll and you will absolutely love it! Gluten free, dairy free, and so good! Let me know if you make it and how it came out!
Here are some more coffee cakes you'll love:
- Paleo Raspberry Coffee Cake
- Funfetti Coffee Cake (paleo)
- Paleo Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Gluten Free Cheesecake Coffee Cake
Paleo Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
- Make the cinnamon sugar mixture: in a small bowl, combine the coconut sugar and cinnamon. Mix well and set aside.
- Make the coffee cake: preheat the oven to 325° and line a 9x9 square pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until evenly mixed.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut oil and coconut sugar and mix until combined.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and almond milk and stir until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir well, making sure no dry spots remain.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle two thirds of the cinnamon sugar mixture on top.
- Carefully scoop the remaining batter on top, making sure all the cinnamon sugar is covered.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- As soon as it comes out of the oven, take the 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and spread it on top then sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture.
- While the cake is cooling, make the glaze: in a small bowl, combine the coconut butter, honey, vanilla extract, and almond milk. Mix until smooth and thin enough to drizzle on the cake.
- Once the cake has cooled, top with glaze. You can top it while it's warm, but it won't be pretty lines.