This Paleo Butter Pecan Ice Cream is rich, sweet and packed with buttery pecans. The perfect summer treat! Dairy free, gluten free, and naturally sweetened.
This ice cream flavor was/is one of my dads favorite which is probably why I liked it as a kid. The butteriness and crunch from the pecans is just so good. And this remade version has that and I think you will love it if you love the original. I actually had a couple people try it that said they usually don’t prefer butter pecan, but they love this version.
Vegan Ice Cream
So as written, this calls for ghee which obviously isn’t vegan. It’s an easy replacement to use butter flavored coconut oil. Everything else in the recipe is vegan so that’s it. Coconut milk as the base and no eggs or yolks. Super easy!
This ice cream is sweetened with dates which is a favorite of mine. It’s easy to do and gives so much richness to the ice cream. It adds a caramel-like flavor and is just so delicious! Even if you think you don’t like dates, you will love this.
I think you will love this made over version of the classic ice cream flavor. It’s sweet, creamy, and studded with buttery pecans. A handful of ingredients combined to make a dreamy dessert.
HERE is the ice cream maker I have and love.
Paleo Butter Pecan Ice Cream
- Add the dates to a small pan and add in 1 can of the coconut milk. Turn heat to medium and bring to a boil stirring regularly.
- Remove from the heat and place the mixture in a high powered blender. Add in the salt, ghee, and vanilla and blend until smooth. Add in the other can of coconut milk and blend again. Blend until mixture is as smooth as possible. Pour mixture into a large glass dish with a top and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours to chill, or overnight.
- Make the pecans. In a large skillet, add the pecans, ghee and salt. Toast over medium heat 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and place into a bowl until ready to use.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Pour the cooled mixture into your ice cream maker and follow manufacturers directions for churning. Mine took about 12 minutes. Add the pecans in during the last 3 minutes. Once it's done churning scoop into the prepared pan and keep in the freezer. You can also eat it right away for soft serve consistency.
- After removing it from the freezer, let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes to make it easier to scoop.