This Paleo Whole30 Chicken Pot Pie Soup is ultimate comfort food made healthy! Thick, creamy, and made with all real food ingredients! Dairy free, gluten free, and low FODMAP.
I'm pretty excited to share this soup with you! I tried making a version last year and just wasn't happy with the creaminess. I tried again this year with a new trick- blended potatoes (mashed potatoes, basically) and nailed it! The potatoes make the soup amazingly creamy so no flours or starches are needed. Yay!
It has all the flavors and heartiness of a pot pie- just without the crust. I do plan to make a crust version soon (still working to perfect it), but no crust means this is Whole30 compliant and still so delicious!
It calls for 2 pounds of cooked chicken and that can be anything from a store bought rotisserie to left overs from a previous night. I just placed some boneless skinless thighs on a sheet tray and baked them for 25 minutes, then chopped them up. Leftover turkey would also work great for after Thanksgiving.
This soup does have a little prep involved with all the veggies needing to be chopped, but it is SO worth it. Most of it can be done ahead of time making it much quicker on meal night. The veggies chopped and stored, the chicken cooked and chopped, and the herbs cut. Then it will all come together quickly.
This soup is so perfect for the whole family! No one will be able to tell it's healthy and it is super filling. This version is low FODMAP since my husband is still eating by those guidelines, but there are instructions on how to make it with onions and garlic if you don't need it low FODMAP.
This reheats perfectly and leftovers are just as good! The perfect meal to make on a Sunday and eat throughout the week. You will love this creamy, hearty, flavorful soup! I already have plans to make it again!
Paleo Whole30 Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 1 pound yukon gold potatoes chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon garlic oil
- 2 tablespoons fat of choice- avocado oil ghee
- 1 ½ cup chopped carrots about 3 medium
- 1 ½ cups chopped celery
- 1 cup diced green onion use regular onion if not low FODMAP
- 1 pound diced yukon gold potatoes
- 3-4 cups broth or water*
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 ½ cups frozen french green beans
- 1 teaspoon salt divided (or to taste)
- 2 pounds cooked chicken chopped
- In a small saucepan, combine potatoes with the 1 cup of water. Cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once cooked, turn heat off, drain, add almond milk, and blend using an immersion blender. Leave it in the pan as you finish making the soup.
- While the potatoes are cooking, start the soup. In a large pot or dutch oven, combine garlic oil, fat, carrots, celery, green onions and potatoes. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add 3-4 cups broth or water, thyme, rosemary, green beans, and salt. Cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the potato puree to the soup, stir in chicken and cook for 10 more minutes uncovered.