This Easy Cheeseburger Soup is an easy and delicious dinner! Naturally gluten free and easily made dairy free. A great weeknight meal or make-ahead and eaten all week.
We're in the thick of soup season and if you're looking for more soup recipes to try, add this one to the list for sure! I've made in twice in the past couple weeks because it's so good and simple to make. Being able to put all the flavors of a burger into a soup is so fun and satisfying.
Ingredients in cheeseburger soup
Ground beef- the key ingredient because you can't have a burger without the patty. This can be subbed for ground turkey if desired.
Veggies- carrots, onion, celery and potatoes are used for flavor and also to bulk the soup up to make it a complete meal. I usually use frozen onion to keep it super simple, but dicing a fresh onion works just as well.
Broth- to make this a soup. Chicken or beef will work, low sodium is best so the salt can be controlled.
Milk- any milk can be used. Almond milk is what I use, but any dairy free or dairy milk can be used depending on dietary restrictions and preference.
Cheese- goat cheese log is what is called for, but cream cheese or dairy free cream cheese would also work. Additional cheese can definitely be added, shredded cheddar would be so good.
This can be eaten as is or topped with additional toppings like bacon, shredded cheese, green onion, and crackers. Pickles could be added for a true burger flavor.
Storing the soup
This is best stored covered in the fridge for up to a week. It reheats great and is just as good as fresh. I'm not confident on how it freezes due to the cheese and milk. If that is left out and added after thawing, I think it would work great.
You will love this soup because it's hearty, flavorful and simple to make. Here are some more soups to try:
- Creamy Chicken Tomato Soup
- Chicken Chili Relleno Soup
- Paleo Lasagna Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
Easy Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups low sodium broth
- 3 cups diced potatoes about 2 medium
- 4 oz goat cheese log*
- 1 cup milk of choice
- In a large stock pot, add the onion, carrots and celery and cook on medium/high heat for 7 minutes. If using a fresh onion, add a tablespoon of oil for cooking. If using frozen onion, it will release some liquid so no oil is needed.
- Add the beef and salt and cook while breaking into small pieces. A wooden spoon works great for this. Add the broth and potatoes, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender stirring regularly.
- Remove the lid and add the goat cheese and milk and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Serve hot. Add additional toppings if desired like bacon, more cheese, and green onion.
- Store left over soup in a covered container in the fridge for up to a week.