This Paleo Whole30 Stuffed Pepper Soup is easy to make and so hearty. All the flavors of a stuffed pepper in soup form. Gluten free, dairy free, and low FODMAP. Made in the Instant Pot or on the stove top.
Updated September 2018 by adding photos without rice. Recipe is the same.
I'm back with another amazing soup. They are definitely a favorite of mine during the colder months, and judging on how popular they always are, you guys love them as well.
Last year I made some stuffed peppers for the site, but I wasn't happy with the pictures so I never shared them. When I thought about remaking them to share, I came up with the idea to turn it into soup. I know I'm not the first one to think of it 😉
This soup is packed with deliciousness. Lots of bell peppers, fire roasted tomatoes, grass-fed ground beef, and seasonings that give it so much flavor. Yes, there is white rice in some of these pictures. We tolerate white rice ok and if you do as well then I highly recommend it! If you're doing a Whole30 or can't handle rice, then use cauliflower rice or leave it out. It's still hearty and flavorful without it.
I made this twice in one day to try it out both on the stove-top and in the Instant Pot. As usual, the Instant Pot version was my favorite. It was less hands-on time and came out just as good as the stove-top version.
This recipe is low FODMAP which means no onion, garlic, or green peppers. If you don't need it low FODMAP then feel free to add regular onion with the peppers, use green pepper if you'd like, and garlic instead of garlic oil.
Paleo Whole30 Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 2 tablespoons garlic oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 2 (14.5oz) cans diced fire roasted canned tomatoes
- 1 cup strained tomatoes (or tomato sauce if not low fodmap)
- 3 whole bell peppers (not green) chopped
- 1 bunch green onions chopped- about ½ cup
- ½ cup water (for stove-top)
- 3 cups white rice or cauliflower rice for Whole30
Instant Pot Instructions
- Press the "saute" button and add the oil, beef, salt, and seasoning and cook for 6-8 minutes, breaking up the meat and stirring regularly. Hit "cancel".
- Add in the tomatoes, peppers, and green onion and stir well.
- Place the lid on, make sure the valve is closed. Press the "manual" button and then adjust the time to 10 minutes.
- Hit "cancel" and release the pressure. Serve with rice or cauliflower rice.
- Add garlic oil to a large skillet and cook the peppers over medium heat for 5 minutes, until tender.
- Add the beef, salt, and seasoning and cook until browned, 5-7 minutes. Add in the tomatoes, green onions and water and cook 10 minutes. Add in the rice if using it. Serve hot.