This Chocolate Toffee Recipe has just 5 simple ingredients and is simple to make. A layer of pretzels, sweet toffee and topped with creamy chocolate. A crunchy, salty, sweet treat that is gluten free, dairy free and vegan.
Ingredients for chocolate toffee:
Pretzels- gluten free pretzels are used here, but you can use what works for you.
Vegan Butter- the butter sticks are what needs to be used as they don't have a high water content. Coconut oil CANNOT be used as the mixture won't mix and the whole recipe will be a fail.
Chocolate- dairy free chocolate chips keeps this toffee vegan and completely dairy free. Use whatever percentage you prefer, from a dark chocolate to a "milk" chocolate which is sweeter.
Making the toffee
Pretzel layer- preheat the oven to 375° and line a sheet tray with parchment paper and then spread the pretzels into an even layer. Set aside until the sugar mixture is made.
Toffee- place the vegan butter and sugar in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil and then heat until 270° using a candy thermometer, this should take about 5 minutes. Stir it regularly with a wooden spoon and then pour over the pretzels and spread as evenly as possible.
Bake the candy- place the sheet tray in the oven for 5 minutes and then remove. This will make it easier to ensure all the pretzels can be coated. Move the pretzels as needed to coat fully.
Chocolate topping- sprinkle the chocolate chips on the toffee pretzels and place back in the oven for 1 minutes. Remove and then spread the melted chocolate evenly on the candy. Place in the fridge for an hour to set and then break into chunks.
Storing Chocolate Toffee
This toffee stays good at room temperature for up to two weeks, just store it covered to help from getting stale.
This chocolate toffee recipe is salty, crunchy, sweet and irresistible! It’s easy to make and easily customizable with different toppings if desired. Only a few simple ingredients and it’s sure to become a favorite. Here are some more candy recipes to try:
- Butterfinger Candy Bars (paleo and vegan)
- Mounds Bars (paleo and vegan)
- Pecan Turtles (paleo and vegan)
- Cadbury Creme Eggs (paleo and vegan)
Chocolate Toffee Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375° and line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Line the pretzels in a single layer on the parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium/low heat.
- Once melted, add in the sugar and stir well using a wooden spoon. Stir constantly until the mixture comes together and starts boiling. Insert a candy thermometer and boil until mixture reaches 270°, stirring regularly. This took exactly 5 minutes for me every time.
- Take off the heat and quickly pour over the pretzels, covering as much as possible. Place the pan in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir with the wooden spoon to coat all the pretzels and try to arrange them in a single layer again. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top evenly and place back in the oven for 1 minute. Remove and use the spoon to spread all over the pretzel/toffee mixture.
- Sprinkle with flaky salt if desired. Place in the fridge for an hour to set.
- Remove and break into pieces.
- Store covered at room temperature. Share with friends, or savor these delightful treats on your own.