This Paleo Vegan Peppermint Bark is simple, quick, and such a delicious treat. It is no-bake, gluten free, dairy free, and naturally sweetened.
This peppermint bark is the perfect way to celebrate the holiday season. It’s easy to make and keep on hand for guests or just yourself to enjoy.
Paleo Holiday Recipes
I am teaming up with 5 of my favorite fellow bloggers to bring you 5 new holiday recipes today! Here are the recipes they’re sharing today and then below I’ll talk about mine.
- Real Simple Good made a Gluten Free Coffee Cake (egg free with a nut free option)
- Wholesomelicious made Paleo Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Mary’s Whole Life made Paleo Buckeyes
- Paleo Running Momma made a Paleo Gingerbread Bundt Cake
- The Wooden Skillet made Vegan Blackberry Cheesecake Jars
These desserts all look so good and now a little about this paleo vegan peppermint bark.
The Layers of Peppermint Bark
The bottom layer is dairy free chocolate chips and peppermint extract combined- that’s it! Super simple and makes a great sturdy base. Make sure to choose dairy free, soy free chocolate. The top layer is coconut butter (manna), coconut oil, maple syrup and peppermint extract. This layer was a little trickier to get perfect and it took a couple tries, but this mixture is the best texture and holds to the chocolate well. The top is crushed candy canes which I’ll discuss next.
An important part of making this is to spread the chocolate in the pan and then refrigerate it for 10 minutes before topping with the white layer. The bottom layer won’t be set which is what you want. You want the two layers to hold together will and that is how it’s done.
Paleo Candy Canes
When looking for candy canes I knew I wasn’t going to find strict paleo ones that are naturally sweetened. These YumEarth ones though are a great choice. Naturally colored, nut free, and sweetened with organic cane sugar. Definitely a better option and something I feel okay with. I found them on Amazon, but they may be found at Whole Foods or other health food stores during the holidays.
Gifting Paleo Vegan Peppermint Bark
This candy would make a great gift, just place it in a covered container and keep it in the fridge. It is okay left out for a little bit, but needs to be stored in the fridge to stay hard.
I know you will love this bark because it’s simple and a great holiday treat. Don’t forget to check out the other holiday recipes from the rest of the bloggers above.
Paleo Vegan Peppermint Bark
- 1 1/2 cups dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3/4 cup coconut butter (manna)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup YumEarth crushed candy canes
- Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate chips. You can do this on low heat on the stove-top, or in the microwave in 30 second increments. Once smooth, add in the peppermint extract and stir well. Pour into the prepared pan and refrigerate for 10 minutes- no shorter, no longer.
- While the chocolate is chilling, make the white layer. If the coconut butter is hard, microwave it and stir well until it's smooth and well mixed. In a bowl, combine the coconut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, salt, and peppermint extract. Stir until smooth.
- Once the 10 minutes if up for the chocolate layer, remove it from the fridge and top it with the white layer, spreading evenly over the chocolate. Top with the crushed candy canes and place back in the fridge.
- Once fully hardened, at least an hour, break or cut into pieces. This is best stored covered in the fridge.