This Paleo Shepherd’s Pie is pure comfort food! Packed with meat and veggies and so delicious! Gluten free, dairy free, and Whole30.
I did not grow up on Shepherds Pie, so when my husband requested it I looked at a lot of different recipes to see what exactly was in it. There are a lot of different versions- some with more of a cream sauce in the meat mixture and some with tomatoes. I based my recipe off Alton Brown’s recipe. I have had great success making his recipes in the past so I knew that was a good starting point. It wasn’t too hard making it paleo. I swapped out the regular potatoes for sweet potatoes, but you can use regular if you want or mashed cauliflower for a lower carb version. I think the sweet potatoes work perfectly though. A couple other small changes like leaving the corn and flour out and swapping the Worcestershire sauce for coconut aminos and I had a paleo version of this classic dish.
This savory, meaty dish is so delicious! It’s comfort food, but not the kind that weighs you down and makes you feel bad afterward. I use lard in the mashed sweet potatoes- it makes them rich and adds a depth of flavor that is irresistible. I love Fatworks Lard because it is from pasture raised pigs and Thrive Market is my favorite place to buy it from because it’s the best price! The fresh herbs are a great addition and balance out the richness of the sweet potatoes.
I like to bake my sweet potatoes a day in advance- it makes the dish come together fast on the day you make it. I just place them in the oven at 400° for an hour. I leave the skin on and mash them with the lard and salt while they are still warm. Of course, you can cook the sweet potatoes how ever you want. This is made in a 8×11 pan and I think that makes it the perfect thickness. I know that’s not the most common pan size so you can use a 13×9 and it will just come out a little thinner- it won’t change the flavor at all.
You will love this comforting, delicious, healthy pie! So many layers of amazing flavors that work together to create a meal the whole family will love. Easy to make, gluten free, dairy free, and Whole30.
Paleo Shepherd's Pie
- 4 medium sweet potatoes cooked
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed ghee, or fat of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- Preheat oven to 400° and grease a 11x8 pan.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes, lard, and salt together. Set as smooth as possible. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the onion with the salt, garlic, and carrots. Cook for 10 minutes until veggies have softened.
- Add beef and cook for 5 minutes or until mostly cooked through.
- Add pepper, thyme, rosemary, tomato paste, and coconut aminos. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour the meat mixture into the prepared pan.
- Top with mashed sweet potatoes and bake for 30 minutes.