This Paleo Whole30 Easy Pepper Steak is quick and flavorful! Tender beef and thinly sliced peppers covered in a savory sauce. Gluten free, dairy free, and low FODMAP.
This used to be my favorite meal when I was in high school. I wasn’t the most adventurous eater, but the first time I tried pepper steak I loved it! I’m actually not a fan of peppers though so I picked those out 😉 This has all the same reminiscent flavors, but made gluten free, dairy free, and sugar free.
This meal comes together quickly, but you can even do some prep ahead if you want. The beef can be cut and marinated in advance to make it even faster and the peppers can also be cut and stored in the fridge. Then just a little time cooking in the pan and it’s ready to eat.
It’s best to use sirloin or flank steak and cut it against the grain. That means you will look for the direction the meat fibers are going and cut in the opposite direction. Doing this ensures tender, not chewy, bites of meat. Coconut aminos are an important ingredient that can’t be replaces. Typically soy sauce (and sometimes worcestershire sauce) is used and coconut aminos the healthy replacement. It’s also a lot less salty which is great.
Using red, yellow, and orange bell peppers keep this low FODMAP. Also, no onion or garlic, but using garlic oil and topping with green onion give this lots of flavor.
If you DON’T need it low FODMAP then feel free to add in sliced onions and chopped garlic.
I hope you try this quick, flavorful, delicious meal.
Paleo Whole30 Easy Pepper Steak
- 20 oz grass-fed beef steak, cut against the grain
- 3 bell peppers, cut into strips (not green)
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl and add the steak. Marinate for at least 1 hour, but up to a couple days. If marinating for only an hour you can keep it on the counter, otherwise keep it covered in the fridge.
- Make the sauce. In a small bowl, combine coconut aminos and arrowroot powder and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Once ready to cook, add avocado oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add in the peppers and cook for 7 minutes.
- Add the beef (and marinade) and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add int he sauce and cook 3 minutes until thickened. Serve warm and store leftovers in the fridge.