This Paleo Whole30 Chicken Shawarma Salad is healthy and so delicious! A simple marinade infuses the chicken with wonderful flavors and is grilled to perfection. Gluten free, dairy free, low carb, and low FODMAP.
Chicken Shawarma is a Middle Eastern food that is usually heavily reliant on garlic which is not allowed on low FODMAP. Garlic oil is what is used to give it that same great taste, but without the uncomfortable side effects of garlic. Serving it with tomatoes and cucumber keeps it low FODMAP as well.
I used my Paleo Whole30 Tzatziki Sauce (also low FODMAP) as the dressing. It’s no the prettiest, but it’s so tasty.
The marinade is a mix of spices that is so flavorful and delicious. Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients, it’s just dried spices that you most likely already have and some lemon juice: salt, pepper, turmeric, red pepper flakes, cumin and paprika. There is also Garam Masala added which is optional because I know it’s not a super common ingredient and it’s not totally necessary, but it’s a blend of cardamon, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, black pepper and coriander. It’s a warm spice that adds a nice depth of flavor.
This is how I stored it. I wasn’t planning to take a picture, but thought it would be good to show because it made serving so easy. Just chop the chicken and add on top of the greens and veggies. Even if you just make the chicken and not the whole salad, it’s a good idea. Add it to your next grill-out day.
I used thin chicken breast for this which I highly recommend. Boneless skinless thighs would also work great if that’s what you prefer. The greens are a great mix that are packed with flavor. Chopped romaine hearts, butter lettuce and then fresh parsley and mint and mixed in which brings so much freshness.
I think you will love this Middle Eastern-inspired meal. I’m definitely not saying it’s authentic, but it sure is delicious !
Paleo Whole30 Chicken Shawarma Salad
- 3-4 romaine hearts
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 bunch fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 large cucumber
- Make the marinade. Place the chicken in a shallow glass container. In a medium glass bowl or glass measuring cup, combine the lemon juice, avocado oil, garlic oil, salt, pepper, turmeric, red pepper flakes, cumin, paprika, and garam masala. Whisk to combine and pour it over the chicken. Let marinate for at least an hour and up to over night. If marinating for more than 2 hours then cover it and place it in the fridge. Remove 30-60 minutes before cooking so it cooks evenly.
- When ready to grill, place the chicken over a medium heat and grill about 5-7 minutes a side or until 165° internally. This will depend on the heat of your grill and thickness of your chicken.
- While the chicken marinates, make the salad. Chop the romaine hearts, butter lettuce, parsley and mint. Add it all to a large bowl and toss to combine. Cut the tomatoes and cucumber and store separately.
- Serve chicken over greens and with the tomatoes and cucumbers on top. Top with tzatzik sauce if desired.