These Paleo S’more Cookie Bars have a graham cracker-like crust, a layer of chocolate and topped with homemade marshmallow. A delicious dessert that is a healthier version of the classic summer treat. They are gluten free, dairy free, and naturally sweetened.
These S’more bars are so fun and such a good treat for the summer or just when you’re craving summertime. All the flavors of the treat, but in bar form.
Graham Cracker Crust
This crust is based on my paleo graham cracker recipe. I just made that and pressed it into the bottom of a square pan and baked until golden brown. It works perfectly and has the classic taste of a store bought graham cracker. It’s super simple to make, just some pantry staples used.
Chocolate Fudge Layer
This chocolate layer is easy, rich and delicious. Some chopped up dairy free chocolate, coconut milk and little coconut milk. It’s like chocolate fudge in taste and texture.
Making marshmallow may seem intimidating, but it’s really so easy. It’s more of a marshmallow fluff than marshmallows and it will make a little extra which is not a bad thing. I used a similar recipe to my Paleo Chocolate Marshmallows, but used less gelatin so they wouldn’t set up as stiff. You can use honey or maple syrup. I feel like maple syrup is less strong of a flavor, but if you like the flavor of honey then feel free to use that. Either will work. Having a good thermometer and stand mixer makes this step so easy!
Homemade marshmallows don’t usually toast the same as store bought, but I let them sit out uncovered at room temperature which helps develop a “skin” on them that will toast. I used a culinary torch which works so well, but putting them under the broiler and watching closely should also work. They are still good un-toasted if that’s what you prefer.
Sometimes I’m hesitant to share a more difficult recipe with steps involved, but whenever I do, you all seem to love it and prove that you’re willing to put the work in for the tasty result. Not that these are hard, but there are multiple steps and wait time. They are so worth it though!
I know you will love these paleo s’more cookie bars. In each bite you get the graham cracker flavor, rich chocolate, and toasty marshmallow. Such a great summer treat!
Here are some more summer recipes to try:
Paleo S’more Cookie Bars
Graham cracker crust
- 1 cup chopped dairy free chocolate 5.3oz
- 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- pinch of salt if needed
- Make the crust. Preheat the oven to 325° and line a 8×8 (or 9×9) pan with parchement paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add in the coconut oil, molasses and egg and mix until well combined and dough is formed. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake 20 minutes, until the edges are browned. Let cool before topping.
- Once graham cracker layer is cool, make the chocolate layer. Add the chopped chocolate to a medium bowl. Dump the can of coconut milk into a microwave safe dish or measuring cup and warm for 30 seconds. Stir well to combine and measure out 1/3 cup. Add that to the chocolate chips and stir, the chocolate should melt a little. Microwave the chocoalte another 30 seconds and then stir well until it's completely smooth. Add in the coconut oil and salt (if using) and stir until creamy. Pour over the graham cracker crust and place in the fridge to chill for at least one hour.
- Make the marshmallows. Place 1/2 cup water in a bowl of the stand mixer. Sprinkle the gelatin on top and let it bloom while you make the syrup.
- Add the other 1/2 cup water to a small sauce pan and add in the honey or maple syrup. Turn to medium heat and bring to a boil. Boil until mixture gets to 240°. I boiled mine for 10 minutes and it wouldn't go above 220° and it still set okay, but try to get to 240°.
- Turn off the heat and let the bubbles stop. Turn the stand mixture on low to let the gelatin mix with the water. Slowly pour the hot mixture in and then turn the speed up to high. Beat until triples in size and light and fluffy- about 10-15 minutes. You don't want to beat longer than that or the marshmallow will get cool and hard to spread.
- Spread about half the mixture on top of the chocolate layer, spreading evenly. Scoop the remaining marshmallow into a greased dish and cut and enjoy as plain marshmallows.
- If you want the bars toasted then let the s'more bars set uncovered for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight to get a "crust" on the marshmallow that will toast. I used a torch to brown the top, but putting them under a broiler for a couple minutes, watching closely should also work. Just be sure there is no extra prachemnt paper hanging over the pan that could catch fire.
- Store bars uncovered at room temperature up to 3 days and then frozen after that.