These Paleo Strawberry Crumb Bars have a sweet shortbread layer, topped with fresh fruit filling and finished with an irresistible crumb topping. They are vegan, gluten free, dairy free and naturally sweetened.
I have made *almost* every flavor of these bars and they are always a hit. This version uses strawberries with chopped almonds in the topping. They are fresh, not too sweet, and sure to become a favorite.
Layers of Paleo Crumb Bars
This shortbread recipe is my tried and true go-to that is melt in your mouth good and sweetened just right. The strawberries are cooked down into a fresh, thick sauce. Almost like a jam, but not as jiggly or sweet. That is spread on a simple shortbread crust, topped with more shortbread that makes a crumble topping and baked until golden brown and delicious!
Fresh or Frozen Strawberries
I used frozen strawberries for these since that’s what I had, but either will work since they are getting cooked down into a sauce. I love that these can be made year round by choosing frozen berries.
The glaze is what I use for most of my desserts, a mix of coconut butter (or manna), maple syrup and a little water to thin it out. It’s sweet and just makes the best topping. It can be left off and they’ll still be good, but a glaze is always fun.
Storing Paleo Crumb Bars
These are best stored in the fridge or they get a little soft and messy. They are very good straight from the fridge so it’s not a bad thing. If you want to serve them warm just plan to use a fork to eat them 🙂
I know you will love these paleo strawberry crumb bars because they have the best shortbread crust, fresh strawberry layer and crumb topping. What’s not to love?!
Here are my other crumb bars you will love:
- Paleo Cherry Pie Crumb Bars
- Vegan Paleo Apple Pie Crumb Bars
- Paleo Raspberry Crumb Bars
- Vegan Paleo Blueberry Pie Crumb Bars
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Paleo Strawberry Crumb Bars
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 3/4 cup strawberries 8-9oz
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1/4 remaining shortbread dough
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a 9 inch square pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt, vanilla, maple syrup, and coconut oi. Stir together until it is well mixed and everything is incorporated evenly. Press 3/4 of the mixture (the other 1/4 will be used for the topping) into the bottom of the pan and bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown around the edges.
- While the base is cooking, make the filling. In a sauce pan combine the strawberries, maple syrup, salt, and tapioca flour. Cook over medium heat until thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan, pour into a bowl and place in the fridge until needed.
- Once the base is cooked let cool 5 minutes. While that is cooling add chopped almonds to the remaining dough.
- Spread the strawberry sauce on the base then sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly on top as evenly as possible. Press down gently to make sure it stays in place. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool before adding a glaze if you choose to. Make sure the coconut butter is soft. You may need to microwave it for 30 seconds and stir first. Make the glaze: In a small bowl, combine the coconut butter, maple syrup, vanilla and water. Add the water as needed until smooth. Drizzle over bars.
- These are easiest to cut and serve after being refrigerated. Also, store any leftovers covered in the fridge.
Leave a Comment