This Paleo Funfetti Coffee Cake is moist, sweet, and has the best crumb topping. A nostalgic flavor turned into a tasty breakfast or dessert. It's gluten free, dairy free and naturally sweetened.
This cake is so fun and tastes just like the classic cake, while being grain free and dairy free. When I first made this, I mixed sprinkles into the cake, but they kind of disappear and I don't think it's worth it. So added to the crumble and then some sprinkled on top of the glaze is enough.
Coffee Cake Ingredients
Natural sprinkles- try to find sprinkles that are naturally colored and don’t contain soy. I used Color Kitchen sprinkles and they do have cornstarch in them which means they aren’t strict paleo, but they were the best I could find.
Almond Extract- these may seem like a weird ingredient, but it really gives it that cake batter taste. 2 teaspoons is used for lots of flavor.
Cashew butter gives these richness without the nut butter being too overpowering. You can sub another nut butter, but the flavor will be different. My favorite cashew butter is Georgia Grinders and you can use code Jessica20 for a 20% off on their site.
Maple sugar– this is just lighter in color than coconut sugar so I like it for that reason in these cookies. Coconut sugar can be used and it will work just as good, the cake will just be a little darker in color.
Crumb Topping and Sweet Glaze
The crumb is arguably the best part of any coffee cake and I knew I wanted to go big here. So a lot of crumb is made and it really makes it an amazing dessert and better than just a sprinkle cake.
The glaze is coconut butter and a little maple syrup. It's important to make sure the coconut butter is warmed and smooth before making it so it's easy to drizzle. A short time in the microwave or sitting in a bowl of warm water will help it mix better.
I shared this with friends and one feedback I got is that it tastes like cookie dough and I think that's a pretty great review!
This coffee cake is best stored covered in the fridge for up to 10 days. It is fine out at room temperature for sharing though.
You will love this paleo funfetti coffee cake because it's simple to make and such a fun snack. Here are some more coffee cakes to try:
- Paleo Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Gluten Free Cheesecake Coffee Cake
- Paleo Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
- Sweet Potato Pecan Coffee Cake (paleo)
Paleo Funfetti Coffee Cake
- Preheat oven to 325° and line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper.
- Make the cake. In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, maple sugar (or coconut sugar), salt and baking soda. Stir well. Mix the cashew butter and warm water together as best as possible. Add it to the dry mix along with the eggs and almond extract. Scoop into the prepared pan.
- Make the crumb topping. In a medium bowl combine the almond flour, maple sugar (or coconut sugar), salt, coconut oil, and maple syrup. Mix well until combined and crumbly. Add in the sprinkles and mix again. Sprinkle evenly over the cake and bake for 40 minutes.
- Let cool before glazing. Make sure the coconut butter is soft first. You may need to microwave it for 30 seconds and stir it. In a small bowl, combine the coconut butter, maple syrup, almond extract and water. Add the water as needed until smooth. Drizzle over coffee cake and top with additional sprinkles.
- Store covered in the fridge up to 10 days.