These Paleo Lemon Bars are so full of bright lemon flavor. A simple shortbread crust topped with a creamy, tart lemon filling that is delicious and perfect for spring. They are gluten free, dairy free, and naturally sweetened.
I had a little poll on Instagram a couple weeks ago about what kind of desserts you all want for spring time and Easter. It was between lemon and carrot cake and it was almost an exact tie. So, I’ll be sharing a couple recipes of each, starting with these scrumptious lemon bars.
These did not turn out good at all the first try. I used my shortbread crust that I’ve used in so many recipes with great success (like these Paleo Twix Bars and Paleo Raspberry Crumb Bars), but it just didn’t work. The base needed an egg to help keep it together and not soak up the lemon liquid that is poured on top of it. And the filling was worked on as well. Cassava flour whisked in to give it structure while still keeping it smooth.
The final result is a lemon bar that will please any lemon lover! 1 whole cup of fresh lemon juice is used as well as some zest. Oh yeah! Even with the honey sweetening them, they have a nice tartness. I personally love the lemon shining through and not getting overpowered by sugar!
The taste and texture of these bars is so perfect. The shortbread crust is sturdy enough to hold the thick, rich, creamy lemon filling. One bite and you’ll be hooked.
They are easy to make. The crust is mixed in one bowl, pressed into a pan and baked. While that bakes the filling ingredients are mixed together and that gets poured over the warm crust. Even though the baking time is a little long, most of it is hands off work. Besides juicing those lemons 🙂
A couple products I used to make my life easier. My lemon juicer and zester. Both are totally worth the price and I get use out of them all the time.
Craving more lemon? You’ll love my Paleo Lemon Poppy Seed Bread.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Paleo Lemon Bars
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4-5 lemons)
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup honey
- 6 tablespoons cassava flour
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a 8 inch square pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the crust ingredients. Mix the almond flour, coconut flour, coconut oil, egg, salt, and honey together until it is evenly combined. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake 16-18 minutes, until the edges start to lightly brown.
- While the crust bakes make the filing. In a large bowl or measuring cup, combine the lemon zest and juice, eggs, honey and cassava flour. Whisk really well until all the flour is incorporated and everything is evenly mixed.
- Once the crust is done baking remove from the oven, reduce the temperature to 300° and give it 5 minutes to cool down.
- Pour the filling over the crust and bake for 40 minutes or until the center is jiggly, but set. Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature.
- Place in the fridge for at least a couple hours to fully chill. Cut and serve cold.
Leave a Comment