This Paleo Lemon Zucchini Coffee Cake is tender, moist, and has the best crumb topping! It's gluten free, dairy free, and is sure to become a new favorite!
This coffee cake was the result of a lot of baking fails. I was trying to make some nut free lemon muffins and it just wasn't working. I finally decided to make them with almond flour and they came out so delicious, but they weren't very pretty. That's when I decided they needed a crumb topping and why not just make it a coffee cake. So finally I made it again as a coffee cake and not only is the flavor and texture perfect, it is also pretty.
Coffee cakes are a favorite of mine to make and I know you all love them because they are always so popular. I think it's the idea of cake for breakfast and definitely the crumb topping that everybody loves. Since I always get this question, there is no actual coffee in the cake. It is meant to be served along side coffee.
Tips for the best cake
Just a simple box grater is all you need for the zucchini. I use the larger side and don't peel the zucchini first. Also, it doesn't get squeezed because that extra moisture is what helps keep the cake so tasty. I know the ingredient list looks a little long, but it's a lot of repeat ingredients for the different layers.
Naturally sweetened cake
It's not an overly sweet cake, but still sweet enough to be a treat. Honey is the only sweetener for the cake and the crumb topping has a little coconut sugar. The glaze consists of coconut butter (not oil), honey, and lemon juice for another layer of lemon flavor. If you are a lemon lover then this is the cake for you!
You will love this bright, flavorful lemon zucchini cake! The perfect use of all that summer zucchini and so so delicious! Here are my other coffee cakes that you will love:
- Paleo Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Orange Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake (paleo)
- Paleo Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- Raspberry Coffee Cake (paleo)
- Paleo Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
Lemon Zucchini Coffee Cake
- Preheat the oven to 325° and line a 8x8 square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Made the crumb topping. In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut sugar and ghee until well mixed. I find that my (clean) hands are the best way to do this. Mixture should be crumbly, but hold together when squeezed. Set aside.
- Make the cake. In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, salt, and baking soda. In a medium bowl combine ghee, eggs, honey, and the lemon zest and juice. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until fully combined. Add in the zucchini and stir again.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and spread evenly. Top with crumb mixture, covering the top as evenly as possible. Bake 40-43 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Make the glaze. In a small bowl, combine coconut butter, honey, vanilla, and lemon juice. Mix well and drizzle over cake. If the cake is warm it make melt a little.
- Store leftover cake in the fridge after 48 hours.