These Paleo Taco Stuffed Zucchini are so easy to make and are a great way to get your Mexican craving. These are Whole30 compliant and naturally gluten free.
Tacos are awesome!! Those little packs of instant taco seasoning filled with weird ingredients? Not so much! The thing is, it is so easy to make tacos from scratch. A few simple ingredients that you probably already have is all it takes. I like the addition of tomatoes mainly because I love tomatoes in everything. It also makes the mixture a little bulkier which means my husband won’t eat it all in one serving.
Filling a zucchini with taco meat means you wont even miss the shell- seriously! And it is perfect for summer when zucchini is super cheap or if you grow it yourself and you don’t know what to do with all of it.
Here is what you’ll need: A can of tomatoes with green chilis, one large onion- diced, 1 pound of grass-fed beef, and some seasonings.
Here is a better look at the seasonings.
Cut the zucchini in half, length wise, and scoop out the centers. A spoon works great for this- so easy. Lightly salt and flip cut-side-down on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Bake 15-20 minutes or until tender.
While the zucchini is baking, cook the onions with the salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until they start to soften and become translucent. Add the beef and cook for only a minute, then add the tomatoes and seasonings.
Cook the meat mixture for about 10 minutes or until the beef is fully cooked. At this point, the zucchini will be done. Flip them over so they’re cut side up, fill, and serve.
These have the perfect taco flavor without being too spicy. The zucchini has just enough crunch to give a nice contrast of textures and the tomatoes add great freshness. You can top them with your favorite taco toppings- lettuce, diced tomato, onions, jalapeños, and guacamole. Oh, guacamole…I wish I thought of that when I made them!
You can eat them with a fork if you want or just your hands. I guess that makes them more like an original taco.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Paleo Taco Stuffed Zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line a sheet tray with parchment paper.
- Cut off the stem of the zucchini, cut in half length-wise and scoop out the center with a spoon.
- Salt and place cut side down on the parchment paper. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tender. This is also personally preference on how soft you like your zucchini.
- While that is cooking, in a large pan, sauté onion, salt, and pepper in coconut oil over medium heat until it starts to soften- about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef and cook until brown. It does not need to be fully cooked as it will continue to cook with the other ingredients.
- Add in the tomatoes, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, oregano, and smoked paprika.
- Mix well and cook on medium heat until beef is fully cooked.
- Turn down and simmer until the zucchini is cooked.
- Take the zucchini out of the oven, flip over, and fill with the meat mixture.
Leave a Comment