This Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake has layers of sweet cream cheese, fresh blueberries, delicious crumb topping, and a perfect glaze. One bite won’t be enough!
I have this problem- every time I got to the store this time of year I buy ALL the berries. They look so good and I imagine all the delicious recipes I can make with them. Then I have 500 pounds of blueberries in the fridge and feel pressure to use them before they go bad. I spend hours looking at recipes and trying to decide, but I almost always go back to what I know. And this coffee cake is what I know. I’ve made it so many times so I decided to add blueberries and it came out amazing.
Let’s review why this coffee cake is so good:
- The cake layer- so simple, not too sweet, and made with buttermilk to keep it moist and tender.
- The cream cheese- in my opinion, all coffee cakes should have cream cheese. It’s like a layer of cheesecake right in the center and gives it the best flavor.
- The blueberries- so fresh, a great contrast to the sweet cream cheese, and slightly softened from cooking but still holding its shape.
- The crumb topping- one of the most important parts of a coffee cake, if not thee most important part. It is made from a mixture of the cake ingredients before the liquids are added which means it couldn’t be easier.
- The glaze- simple, pretty, and helps hold all the crumbs together when cutting. I think lemon juice would be delicious in this glaze!
- It’s good on the first day, better the second day, and awesome the third day!
Everyone I shared this with went on and on about how good it was and went back for more than one piece.
Look at those layers!! That cream cheese and juicy blueberry!
You will love how quick this coffee cake comes together and how absolutely delicious it is!
Love coffee cake? Check out my Carrot Cake Coffee Cake– so good!!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Coffee Cake Layer
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk or enough to make it your desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a 11×8 pan with foil and grease.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, butter, sugar, and salt until fully combined. It will be crumbly. Measure out one cup and set aside for the topping.
- To the remaining batter, add egg, buttermilk, baking soda, baking powder, and vanilla.
- Pour into pan and smooth to make sure it’s even.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar together until combined and smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour on top of the cake layer.
- Top with blueberries and sprinkle the remaining flour mixture on top for the crumb.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the center is no longer jiggly. Sometimes the toothpick test doesn’t work because it will pick up the cream cheese.
- Cool completely before glazing.
Leave a Comment