This coffee cake takes Carrot Cake to the next level by adding a sweet cream cheese layer and a thick crumb topping. One bite and you’ll be hooked.
Easter is this weekend and there’s a good chance that you’re going to make carrot cake. But why just make carrot cake, when you can make Carrot Cake Coffee Cake? That automatically makes it acceptable for breakfast and everything is better with a crumb topping!
Carrot cake just isn’t carrot cake without cream cheese- so instead of a frosting, I added it right in there and it combines together with the cake in a delicious way. The cake is so moist and has all the flavors of a traditional carrot cake. Cinnamon, coconut- I think raisins would be delicious in it, but I know people have strong feeling on raisins so I left them out. The crumb topping brings it all together and truly makes this carrot cake something special.
Don’t be intimidated by the long ingredient list. There’s no weird or special ingredients. This cake does require a little time and effort to make, but it’s so worth it. Grating the carrots takes the longest, so if you have a food processor to do that then your prep time will be greatly reduced. The great thing about this cake is that it just gets better every day. You could make it today and serve it Sunday and it would be amazing.
Grate your carrots first. I just scrub them good instead of peeling them- it saves a lot of time. It uses 15oz which is about 2 1/4 cups, but if you have a scale I suggest using it. Next, make the cream cheese layer and crumb topping so they’ll be ready when the cake is mixed.
I hope you have a really great Easter! Do you have any special plans? What’s on your menu?
Carrot Cake Coffee Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice optional
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 15 oz finely grated carrots about 2 1/4 cups tightly packed
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
CREAM CHEESE LAYER
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons water or until desired consistency is reached
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a 13x9 pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray.
- Grate carrots and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar and mix until smooth. Add in egg and vanilla and stir until no lumps remain. I find the best way to do this is with a whisk or hand mixer. Set aside.
- In a large bowl (or pie plate) combine the crumb topping ingredients- butter, brown sugar, flour, salt, and cinnamon. Mix with clean hands until combined. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars together until completely smooth.
- Add in eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Alternate adding the dry mixture with the buttermilk until all is added and incorporated.
- Fold in carrots and coconut.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Gently spread cream cheese mixture on top.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture on top of cream cheese mixture.
- Bake for 55-65 min or until toothpick comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
- Let completely cool and top with glaze.
- Can be kept at room temperature for 3-4 days.
- Best served 1-2 days after making.