This Healthy Cream of Mushroom soup is Paleo, Whole30, gluten free and vegan and is so much better tasting than store bought. Super simple and no weird ingredients.
*Pictures updated 8/30/17. Recipe and text remain the same.
Cream of mushroom in a can used to be a staple in my kitchen. When we started focusing on eating real food that completely went away. But eating healthy doesn’t mean giving up food you love and grew up on, it just means finding a healthier way of making it. This homemade soup is so easy and so much better than the can!! It’s paleo, whole30, and even vegan (if you use veggie broth)!
I have used it to make green bean casserole and it’s amazing. I recommend you save this recipe and pull it out around the holidays to make the best green beans ever!
It is super easy to make and only takes about 20 minutes total- including cutting the mushrooms and onion. It can also be make ahead of time if you’re using it in another recipe.
I like little chunks of mushrooms in the sauce so I remove half of the mixture and only blend part of it. If you like a completely creamy sauce though, just blend it all. There is nothing about this cream of mushroom that you won’t love- it is thick, creamy, rich, flavorful and healthy!
You will love how easy this Cream of Mushroom is and how much better it tastes. This can be used however you would use a can of cream of mushroom.
Healthy Cream of Mushroom
- In a large saucepan, combine the mushrooms, broth, onion, garlic, and salt.
- Cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat until mushroom have reduced in size and become soft.
- Turn off the heat and remove about 1/2 cup of the mixture. Set aside.
- Add in the coconut cream and using an immersion blender, blend the mushroom mixture until there are no chucks remaining. If it is too thick, add in a little broth at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Turn back on medium heat and add in mushrooms and thyme.
- Add the arrowroot powder and whisk until there are no lumps. Stir until thick.
- Store in fridge for up to one week.