This Paleo Beef Barbacoa is tender, juicy, and spiced perfectly. Chipotle copycat, made at home and just as good! Whole30, gluten free, and incredibly delicious!
Chipotle is one of the few restaurants I like eating out at. We don’t have a lot of healthy options around and I know they only serve quality meat and it’s easy to make a healthy meal there. It can be expensive, though so I decided to recreate my favorite meat at home and oh, it came out so good! It is moist, flavorful, and spiced just right. Did I mention it is super easy?? That’s another thing I love about it.
It’s made in the Instant Pot which has quickly become my favorite kitchen appliance. I’ve been using it weekly for meals, but I just haven’t taken the time to blog about any of them– until now. This one does not disappoint and is made in 1 hour! Tender, fall apart meat in one hour- yes, that is why I love it! If you don’t have an Instant Pot, this can be made in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
Just like at the restaurant, I like making a bowl with it. So I made a bed of romaine lettuce, topped it with this meat, some guacamole, and salsa. So so good! You could also put it in some paleo tortillas. I’ve recently been loving Siete Tortillas that are sold at Whole Foods- so nice when I don’t want to make them myself.
You will love how flavorful, tender and juciy this meat is! This would make a great addition to taco night instead of, or in addition to, ground beef. I’m so happy I was able to recreate this dish at home that tastes just as good as the restaurants! I know you’ll love it, too!
UPDATED 11/18 with Low FODMAP instructions in the notes.
Paleo Beef Barbacoa (Chipotle Copycat)
- 3 pounds grass-fed chuck roast fat cut off and cut into large chunks
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 4oz can of green chilis
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons pepper
- 3 dried chipotle peppers stems removed and broken into pieces
- juice of 3 limes
- 3 tablespoons coconut vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 cup water
- Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot and stir.
- Place lid on, make sure vent is closed, and hit the “manual” button. Increase time to 60 minutes.
- Once done, let naturally release or press “cancel” and release the pressure.
- Remove lid, shred with a fork, and hit the “sauté” button. Stir regularly as the juices reduce. This may take up to 20-30 minutes to fully reduce.