These Paleo Pizza Potato Skins have all the flavor of pizza, but packed into a scooped out potato! Perfect as an appetizer or a meal. Whole30, gluten free, and so delicious!
I've always loved potato skins, so why not make them better and stuff them with pizza toppings? Using Italian Sausage really gives them that pizza flavor and is highly reccommened not to skip!
Making pizza potato skins
Here are pictures of the steps. Pizza sauce, sausage and mushrooms, then garlic and olives. Then I sprinkled a little pizza seasoning on them, which is optional but adds that additional pizza flavor, then topped them with pepperoni.
I packed these taters with all the good stuff! Italian sausage, roasted garlic, mushrooms, black olives, and topped with pepperoni that gets crispy. Each bite is so good! The great thing about these is that you can use your favorite pizza toppings. Maybe you love green peppers, or ham, or bacon- add it.
Best way to scoop
One super helpful tip is to use a cookie scoop to scoop the potato out. I tried just using a big spoon and it was a mess and uneven. Using the scoop makes it easy, removes the insides evenly and makes it perfect for filling.
Ranch for dipping if you want
They are delicious on their own, but of course good dipped in ranch as well. I was always a lover of pizza dipped in ranch and this is reminiscent of that. I have a great Whole30 Ranch or you can use Tessemae's, which is what is pictured here. It's also Whole30 and convenient when I don't have time to make it from scratch.
If you love pizza then you will absolutely love these potato skins!
Pizza Potato Skins
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a sheet tray with parchment paper.
- Wash and poke holes in the potatoes, brush with coconut oil and bake for about 40 minutes or until tender.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes, then cut the potatoes in half and scoop out most of the inside. A cookie scoop works best for this. It removes the filling without ruining the skin.
- Brush both sides with coconut oil again and bake face down on the sheet tray for 7 minutes.
- Turn over and bake 5 minutes.
- Fill with sauce, sausage, mushrooms, olives, garlic, and pepperoni. Sprinkle some pizza seasoning or oregano on before the pepperoni if desired.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until pepperoni is crispy. Serve hot.