These waffles happened on accident. I was trying to come up with the perfect donut recipe, and while the flavor was perfect, they just weren’t pretty at all. After a couple batches I decided to try them in the waffle maker- perfection!! They turned out better than I imagined. They didn’t stick to the waffle maker (my nightmare), they were light and fluffy on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside.
These are definitely a dessert type breakfast- especially if they’re covered in maple or chocolate syrup. But they are made with almond flour, coconut oil, and eggs so they do have healthy fats to keep you full. A better option than traditional waffles. Of course they can be served as dessert and would be amazing topped with ice cream and all the fixings. Yum!
A couple tips to make sure they come out perfect:
- Don’t overfull the waffle maker. I used 1/4 cup so it wasn’t completely full each time. I didn’t want them to spill out the edges and they came out cute!
- The waffles are done when the waffle maker quits steaming. For the first batch that was 4 minutes, the second batch- 3 minutes, and less than that the third batch. So keep an eye on it and check it as soon as you don’t see steam.
- Brewed coffee enhances the chocolate flavor. Promise you can’t taste it! Feel free to use almond milk in place of it if you want.
- Spray the waffle maker generously with some non-stick spray
These would make a super fun special occasion breakfast- a birthday, mother’s day, valentine’s day. Top them with your favorite toppings. Or maybe you have a chocolate cake craving, but don’t want to wait an hour to bake one. These are whipped up and baked in just minutes.
Paleo Chocolate Cake Waffles
- CLICK HERE for the full recipe on Golden Barrel's site.