This Paleo Whole30 Fricase de Pollo (Chicken Fricassee) is a hearty chicken dish that is rich in flavor and so delicious. This classic Cuban dish is made over to be healthy while still being total comfort food. It’s AIP, dairy free, gluten free, and low fodmap.
This is a dish I have never heard of, but so glad I tried. It’s from a new cookbook I just got, Made Whole, by Cristina of The Castaway Kitchen. The book has over 145 paleo recipes with 117 of them being AIP. The book is packed not only with so many tasty recipes, but a beautiful picture for each one. That’s a feature I really love in cookbooks. The book also has two-week meal plans for keto and AIP.
Now a little more about the chicken. It is tender chunks of chicken thighs cooked in a mixture of veggies that get turned into a creamy sauce. It is comfort food made healthy! It’s pretty quick to make once the chicken and veggies are chopped, and that part isn’t even bad. If you’re wanting to make this on a weeknight, just prep the veggies ahead of time and dinner will be ready so quick!
I love the idea of blending some of the cooked vegetables to make a sauce. It adds so much creaminess and makes the dish almost like a hearty stew. I used an immersion blender for the blending which is my favorite because clean up is so easy.
I modified this to be low fodmap of course. It was very easy, just replacing the onion with green onion and the garlic with garlic oil. I’ll write the specific instructions in the notes. I don’t think it took anything away as this dish was still so flavorful and delicious!
This is a dish that will warm your heart and fill your belly! I definitely know I’ll be making it again.
Make sure to check out the Made Whole for more delicious recipes like this one.
If you’re looking for more quick chicken meals check out my Paleo Whole30 Chicken Pot Pie Soup and Paleo Whole30 Instant Pot Chicken Curry.
**Read notes for low fodmap version.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Fricase de Pollo (Chicken Fricassee)
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil or ghee
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 1 large onion, diced**
- 2 cloves garlic, minced**
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3 inch strips
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 springs fresh oregano (I used 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 cup bone broth (I used water)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and bay leaves. Sauté for 8-10 minutes, until the mixture is very fragrant and the onions has become tender and translucent.
- Remove the mixture from the pan and set aside. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of avocado oil in the pan and add the chicken. Add the salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano. Stir to combine. Cook until the chicken is browned- about 10 minutes, turning the pieces occasionally.
- While the chicken browns, bland half the veggie mixture with the broth. Blend until smooth. Once the chicken is browned, add the rest of the veggies and the sauce you just blended back into the pan.
- Stir well, cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and simmer for 10 minutes. You will hear bubbling and sizzling from the pan. Remove the lid, if the mixture has a lot of liquid, reduce over high heat for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. If not, stir well, garnish with green onions and serve hot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat to re-heat.
Leave a Comment