These Paleo Peppermint Patties are easy to make and are the perfect healthy treat. Only 5 ingredients and they are gluten free, dairy free, and so delicious!
Christmas is this week and I wanted to make something festive. I also wanted to keep it easy and healthy and these peppermint patties are perfect! They are made in just minutes, are naturally sweetened, and so delicious you won’t be able to quit snacking on them.
These are made in mini muffins tins, but could also be made in a square pan and cut into pieces. The muffin tin is just so easy and makes the perfect size portion. The only bad thing about them is that they have to be kept in the fridge or freezer because coconut oil has a low melting point at just 76°F. That means you can’t give them as gifts- bummer! They are so good cold though and would be a great treat to serve to guests staying at your house or just for your family to enjoy.
Coconut Butter Layer
Coconut butter is used in the white layer. If you’re not familiar with that, it is not coconut oil, it has more of a peanut butter consistency and can be found right next to the nut butters at the store. I also make my own by putting unsweetened coconut flakes in the blender and processing it until it’s smooth- it doesn’t take long at all and is much cheaper than buying it. To flavor it like peppermint, I use peppermint oil and only a little is needed because it is very strong. Don’t be tempted to add more or it can end up tasting like toothpaste!
These are just the right balance of chocolate and mint- neither one overpowering the other. And even though coconut is used in two ways, they do not have a coconut flavor. These of course won’t be exactly the same as the store bought ones, but these ones have no weird ingredients and I think you’ll like them better. A classic treat made with real ingredients.
I know you will love these paleo peppermint patties and here are some more peppermint treats to make:
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Paleo Peppermint Patties
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Line a mini muffin tin with 12 liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut butter, coconut oil, honey, and peppermint oil. Stir until smooth and divide evenly between muffin liners and place in the freezer for an hour to harden.
- Make the chocolate layer by combining the cacao powder, coconut oil, and honey in a pan over medium heat until smooth. You just want to warm it through and makes sure there are no lumps, don’t boil it or heat it too long. Turn off the heat and add the peppermint oil.
- Take the muffin tin out of the freezer and spoon the chocolate mixture on top.
- Place back in the freezer for 30 minutes or until completely hard. Store in a bag or glass dish in the fridge or freezer.
Leave a Comment