These Candied Nuts are the best thing ever! Deliciously crunchy with a sweet cinnamon coating. You’ll be sneaking bite after bite.
The best candied nuts- that’s a pretty bold statement! We’ve all had those nuts they sell at the mall and fairs and these are just as good, BUT you can make them in just 5 minutes!! No heating your oven, no tricks, and no paying a small fortune!
I made 6 batches of these yesterday because I wanted them to be perfect before I shared. Six batches!! That’s how easy they are. My mom taught me how to make these when I was in high school and still living with her. I made them all the time- walnuts for her, pecans for me, and sometimes almonds just for a change. That’s another great thing about these- use any nut you like.
The original recipe using heavy whipping cream and the result is delicious, but I know a lot of people are dairy free or vegan so I decided I wanted to try them with a dairy free milk. I used cashew milk and they came out great. It does take a couple extra minutes of boiling and that’s written in the recipe. I’m so glad it worked so well!
Here’s the ingredients you’ll need. You may notice that there’s walnuts in this picture and almonds in the final picture- that’s because this batch wasn’t the best. The nuts weren’t evenly coated and that’s a very important part of candied nuts. I made a couple adjustment to make sure there was enough coating.
Lay a piece of wax paper on the counter and measure out the nuts. You don’t want to be rushing to do these things when the mixture is hot. It needs all your attention.
With the flame off, add the sugar, milk and cinnamon to a medium or large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until it starts to boil.
Once it starts to boil, stir consistently for exactly 4 minutes (Or 6 minutes if making the dairy-free version). It will start to thicken and look like caramel. Turn off the heat, add nuts, stir to coat completely and pour onto wax paper to cool. Let cool for 10 minutes before eating because they will burn you. I do suggest eating them while they’re warm though.
These are the perfect quick snack and especially great for summer when you don’t want to turn your oven on.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 1/2 cups nuts – whatever is your favorite kind
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt unless nuts are salted
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or cashew milk for vegan
- extra cinnamon sugar for sprinkling 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon mixed (optional)
- Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and measure out the nuts. You don’t want to be rushing to do this when the mixture is hot.
- With the burner off, place sugar, cinnamon, salt (if using), and cream in a medium to large sauce pan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Once boiling, cook for exactly 4 minutes, stirring consistently.
- Turn off heat, add nuts, stir to coat evenly and pour onto wax paper.
- Sprinkle with extra cinnamon sugar if desired.
Dairy Free Instructions
- Place sugar, cashew milk, cinnamon, and salt in a pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Stir constantly for 6 minutes or until it starts to thicken and look like caramel.
- Remove from heat and stir in nuts.
- Pour over wax paper to cool, breaking apart with the spoon. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon sugar if desired.
- Let cool before eating because they will be extremely hot.
Leave a Comment