This post is sponsored on behalf of Bob’s Red Mill. All opinions are 100% my own, of course! Thank you for supporting brands that help make Jay’s Baking Me Crazy possible!
You guys love coffee cake as much as I do and I love that! My Pumpkin, Cinnamon Roll, and Blueberry coffee cake recipes are made by so many people and it’s fun to see and read about it. (Make sure to tag me on Instagram if you make one of my recipes!)
With Easter just a few weeks away I thought a carrot cake version would be just perfect. It came out so amazing and I just know you will love it! I used Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour which I love because of how fine it is. I can always count on their products to be consistent and great! Also, they have new resealable bags that are so nice!
Let’s talk about this cake and why you need to make it. The cake itself is packed with lots of goodness- shredded carrots, shredded coconut, ghee to give it a rich buttery taste, spices to make it so flavorful, and coconut sugar to give it natural sweetness. Then the super simple crumb topping which is almond flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, ghee, and chopped pecans. Oh yum! The topping really takes this from good to amazing!
Finally, the glaze. This is optional, but adds a little more sweetness and makes it super pretty. It’s coconut butter, which is different than coconut oil, some honey for sweetness and almond milk to thin it out. It definitely makes it feel more like dessert than breakfast.
Despite the three layers, this cake is easy to make! Everything is mixed by hand and the most time consuming part is grating the carrots. And that only takes a few minutes. Don’t be scared of the long ingredient list. Most of it is seasonings and ingredients you probably already have on hand. The only thing I had to buy for this was carrots because those obviously need to be fresh.
This would be the perfect addition to your Easter meal, but I also hope you don’t limit it to one time a year. It’s way too good for that!
Paleo Carrot Cake Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup ghee, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, fresh if possible
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups gently packed shredded carrots, about 3 medium
- Preheat oven to 325° and line a 8 inch square pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl make the cake. Combine the ghee and coconut sugar until mixed. Add in the eggs, almond milk, and vanilla.
- Add in the almond flour, shredded coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix well until no dry spots remain. Fold in carrots until evenly combined. Mixture will be thick. Pour into prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl make the topping: combine almond flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, pecans, and ghee tougher until mixed and clumpy. The best way to do this is with clean hands. Evenly place topping over the cake, slightly pressing it in.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Make the glaze. Place the coconut butter in a small microwaveable bowl. Microwave for 20-30 seconds to soften. Add in the honey and almond milk and stir well until mixed and smooth. Add almond milk as needed to get desired consistency. Drizzle over the cake.
- Store covered in the fridge after the first day.