These Paleo Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits are easy to make and such a great summer dessert. Gluten free, dairy free, and naturally sweetened.
When I asked you all on Instagram what kind of strawberry shortcake you wanted, the top two were poundcake and biscuits. I shared the Paleo Poundcake a couple months ago so I thought it’s time to share the biscuits. They are both good in their own ways and you can’t go wrong with either.
These biscuits are easy to make and hold up well to the strawberries and whipped topping. They are not overly sweet, but still sweet enough to feel like dessert. They have an almond flour base which makes them hearty and satisfying.
I tried making coconut whipped topping, but it didn’t work out well and I was running out of time. I actually just bought a dairy free version from the store. But HERE is a recipe you can try that I think would work great.
They are so simple to make with everything getting mixed in a bowl, divided, shaped and baked. They are ready in under 20 minutes which is so nice. I like to make the strawberries a day in advance, but at least 1 hour if you’re doing it all the same day. The little bit of maple syrup helps draw out the natural juices in the strawberries making them sweet and syrupy.
I hope you try this fun summer dessert! A classic made over to be healthier.
Paleo Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits
- 1-2 pounds organic strawberries
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- whipped topping*
- Slice strawberries and place them in a bowl. Add the maple syrup and stir well. Place in the fridge for at least an hour to help release the juices.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, coconut sugar, salt and baking soda. Mix well.
- Add in the eggs, coconut oil, honey and vanilla. Mix until everything is combined and a dough is formed. Divide into 8 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball. Place on the sheet tray and press down gently, shaping into a biscuit shape. About 1/2 inch thick and round.
- Bake 13-15 minutes, until the bottoms are browned. Slice in half and top with strawberries and whipped topping.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge after 1 day.