These Paleo Lemon Poppy Seed Scones are light, fresh and so delicious! A great summer dessert that is gluten free, dairy free and naturally sweetened.
I made these and my Soft Paleo Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies the same week. I was on a lemon kick. The thought of scones sounded too good to pass up.
These are so easy to make. Scones seem a little fancier than other desserts, but they are just as easy, or easier than cookies or brownies. The dough is mixed, it’s shaped into a circle, cut and baked. They are slightly crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside.
Let’s talk about the ingredients:
Almond and coconut flour: I find this mix to give the best texture. You can’t replace one with the other, so this is the perfect balance.
Date sugar: I went with date sugar only because it’s lighter in color. You can definitely use coconut sugar.
Grass-fed ghee: This adds great buttery flavor, but you can use coconut oil to keep them dairy free.
Egg- You may be able to replace the one egg with a flax or chia egg, but I haven’t tried.
Lemon: The zest and juice add so much brightness and freshness. I use THIS zester that I love.
Poppy Seeds: A classic pairing with lemon and adds a little texture as well.
The glaze is one I’ve made so many times because it’s easy and always comes out great. It’s not necessary, but adds a little more sweetness and of course prettiness. It’s a combination of coconut butter, maple syrup, and lemon juice.
I think you will love these scones because they are easy, have great freshness and are the perfect treat.
Here are some more scones you may love: Paleo Chocolate Chip Scones and Paleo Pecan Pie Scones
Here are my other lemon desserts: Soft Paleo Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies, Paleo Lemon Poppy Seed Bread and Paleo Lemon Cheesecake.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Paleo Lemon Poppy Seed Scones
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/4 cup date sugar*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup melted ghee
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- zest 2 lemons
- juice 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 325° and line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Mix well. Add in the ghee, egg, vanilla, and lemon zest and juice. Stir until everything is mixed well and no dry spots remain. Stir in the poppy seeds. Dough should be able to hold together.
- Shape it into a ball and place it on the sheet tray. Press into a 7 inch circle, about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 6 triangles. Spread apart and bake 18 minutes, until edges and bottom are lightly browned.
- Once scones have cooled, glaze them. Make sure the coconut butter is smooth- if needed, place in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds until smooth. In a small bowl, combine coconut butter, maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla and salt. Mix well and drizzle over the scones.
- Store leftovers in the fridge after 2 days.
Leave a Comment