This Paleo Apple Pie Crumb Bread is tender, moist, packed with fresh apples and topped with the best crumb topping. It’s gluten free, dairy free and naturally sweetened.
My brothers birthday is in a week and I love making him treats. He requested a fruity dessert this year so I decided on this apple pie bread. Adding a crumb topping because that’s never a bad idea! Last year I made him Paleo Cookie Dough Topped Brownies– make sure to check them out! A reader favorite. He is truly the best brother and I’m so grateful to have him in my life!
Baking with Apples
Baking with apples can be tricky as they can make the bread soggy. The solution to this is sautéing the apples before adding them to the batter. It softens them a little and makes it so they don’t release their moisture during baking. Using applesauce in the bread adds more apple flavor as well as moisture.
Apple Pie Spice is used in this bread which is a favorite of mine. It adds more flavor than just cinnamon, but cinnamon can be subbed if that’s what you have. The apple pie spice is a mix of cinnamon, fenugreek, lemon peel, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. The flavor is incredible and I highly recommend buying it for any apple dessert you want to make.
Paleo Quick Bread
This bread comes together easily. It’s mixed in one bowl with the crumb topping in another bowl, but it’s super quick. Sauté the apples and while they cool, make the batter. Fold in the apples and scoop it into the loaf pan. Top with the crumb topping and bake. So simple!
A glaze isn’t needed, but it’s fun and adds a little more sweetness. Coconut butter (manna) is my favorite to use and combined with maple syrup it makes the best sweet topping. Coconut butter is usually hard at room temperature so just microwave it for 30 seconds and give it a good stir first.
I know you will love this paleo apple pie crumb bread because it’s sweet, spiced just right and easy to make. Here are some more apple desserts to try:
- Paleo Vegan Apple Pie Crumb Bars
- Vegan Paleo Apple Cinnamon Bars
- Paleo Vegan Caramel Apple Crisp
- Paleo Caramel Apple Coffee Cake
Paleo Apple Pie Crumb Bread
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a 9×5 pan with parchment paper.
- Sauté the apple and ghee in a medium skillet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until tender. Take off the heat and let cool while you make the bread.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, salt, baking soda, and apple pie spice. Stir together. Add in the applesauce, eggs, maple syrup and cashew butter. Stir until well combined and no dry spots remain. Stir in the sautéed apple pieces. Scoop into prepared pan and spread out evenly.
- Make the crumb topping. In a small bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add in the coconut oil and mix with a fork or your fingers until combined and crumbly. Sprinkle on top of the bread, pressing it in slightly to stay, but not making it flat.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Make the glaze. First make sure the coconut butter is smooth and creamy. If it's hard, place it in the microwave for 30 seconds and then stir well. Combine coconut butter, maple syrup, vanilla and water together and stir until smooth. Drizzle over the bread.
- Store any leftovers covered in the fridge.