This Paleo Caramel Apple Coffee Cake is tender, moist, with the best crumb topping and a sweet drizzle of caramel. It’s gluten free, dairy free, naturally sweetened and so delicious!
I know it’s not apple season, but this idea came to me and I just had to try it! The results were great and I know it’s a coffee cake you will love. Since apples can be tricky to bake with, sometimes making the cake soggy, I shredded them instead of chopping them. This gave the cake moisture, the apple flavor came through and it kept the cake just the right consistency, not soggy at all.
The crumb topping is arguably the best part of any coffee cake and this one is no different. It’s thick and sweet and delicious. I didn’t, but you could add some chopped pecans to it. Yum! That would add some nice crunch.
The caramel topping isn’t a must, but it takes it over the top! My cheater caramel that I use for many recipes that is just almond butter, coconut oil, and maple syrup mixed together. Drizzle that on top and it makes it a decadent dessert.
Coffee cakes are always a little extra work, but 100% worth it. It’s a few dirty bowls, but none it if is hard. The cake is mixed up quickly, the crumb topping is just a few ingredients, and the caramel is just heated in the microwave. When it all comes together it is so irresistible and also pretty!
You will love this cake because it is sweet, moist and perfect with a up of coffee. Enjoy!
Here are some more coffee cake you will enjoy: Paleo Lemon Zucchini Coffee Cake, Paleo Pumpkin Coffee Cake, and Paleo Chocolate Banana Coffee Cake.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Paleo Caramel Apple Coffee Cake
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup peeled and shredded apples, packed (about 2 small)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, room temperature
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325° and line a 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the crumb topping first. In a small bowl, combine almond flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, salt, and coconut oil. Mix well until it’s completely combined and crumbly. Set aside until needed.
- Make the cake. In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir well. Add in the eggs, coconut oil, and maple syrup and stir until well combined. Stir in the apples and then pour mixture into the prepared pan. Top evenly with the crumb topping mixture. Bake for 35 minutes, or until edges are lightly brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the caramel. In microwave safe bowl, combine the almond butter, coconut oil, and maple syrup. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir well. Mixture should be smooth. Add in the vanilla, stir, and set aside until cake is done.
- Once cake is done, drizzle with caramel. Or you can drizzle each individual piece so the cake doesn’t get soggy.
- Store the cake at room temperature for 1 day (24 hours) and then covered in the fridge after that.
Leave a Comment