These Paleo Vegan Brown Sugar Pop Tart Bars are inspired by the original breakfast treat, but made gluten free, dairy free and naturally sweetened. These are sure to become a family favorite!
I made some strawberry pop tart bars last month and they came out so good that I knew I needed to make more flavors. These were the most requested flavor and wow did they come out amazing! I really love taking a favorite treat and not only making them healthier, but easier too. Making these into bars instead of individual means they come together quickly and they are just as delicious!
These bars remind me of cinnamon toast- a childhood favorite which was toast, butter and cinnamon sugar on top. The cinnamon really comes through, so if you’re a cinnamon lover you will absolutely love these!
Making paleo pop tarts
The shortbread layer is simple and a base recipe I use all the time. Almond and coconut flour are the base and it’s sweetened with maple syrup.
Coconut sugar is used for the brown sugar layer which has the same rich flavor as brown sugar. Cinnamon is added of course just like the original. I knew it needed something to hold it together so some coconut oil and cashew butter are added to make it like a thick paste and spreadable. This combo is amazing and really makes the bars what they are. Almond butter can also be used, but cashew is my favorite since it’s more neutral in flavor.
The frosting is similar to what I use for most of my desserts, a mix of coconut butter (or manna), maple syrup, cinnamon and a little water to thin it out. It’s sweet and just makes the best topping. Don’t skip this layer!
Just look at those layers! How can you not love them? My boyfriend shared them with his track kids (he’s a coach) and they all approved which is a pretty high honor really.
I know you will love these paleo vegan brown sugar pop tart bars because they are simple to make and have all the flavors of your childhood treat. Here are some more cinnamon treats to try:
- Paleo Cinnamon Roll Quick Bread
- Vegan Paleo Cinnamon Roll Cheesecake
- Paleo Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
- Vegan Paleo Cinnamon Roll Ice Cream
Paleo Vegan Brown Sugar Pop Tart Bars
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Filling
- Preheat oven to 325° and line a 9 inch square pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the brown sugar cinnamon layer. In a small bowl combine coconut sugar, cinnamon, coconut oil, cashew butter, vanilla and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Make the shortbread. In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt, vanilla, maple syrup, and coconut oil. Stir together until it is well mixed and everything is incorporated evenly. Press 1/2 of the mixture into the bottom of the pan and then spread brown sugar mixture on top evenly. Top with remaining shortbread. The best way to do this is take small pieces and press flat and then lay on top, pressing the edge of each piece together as best as possible. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown around the edges.
- Make the frsoting. Make sure the coconut butter is soft. You may need to microwave it for 30 seconds and stir first. In a small bowl, combine the coconut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and water. Add the water as needed until smooth. Pour it over the bars and place in the fridge to set.
- Store covered in the fridge for up to 10 days.