These Paleo Vegan Strawberry Pop Tart Bars are easy to make, have a fresh fruit filling and a fun frosting. They are gluten free, dairy free and naturally sweetened.
I was never a huge fan of Pop Tarts when I was younger mainly because they were so dry, which is the exact opposite of these bars. These are so doughy and fresh- not dry at all.
This shortbread recipe is my tried and true go-to that is melt in your mouth good and sweetened just right. Half is pressed into the pan, then the jam goes on top, and the remaining shortbread goes on top of that. Don't worry if it's not perfect, it will be frosted so little cracks are okay. I love how easy this shortbread is to whip up and I think you will too.
This layer is easy, store bought strawberry jam. I do like to use a natural one that doesn't have added sugar. Of course you can make your own here too if you prefer. If you need to keep these vegan, make sure pectin is used instead of gelatin as a thickener.
The frosting is what I use for most of my desserts, a mix of coconut butter (or manna), maple syrup and a little water to thin it out. It’s sweet and just makes the best topping. Top with some naturally dyed sprinkles if desired- they are fun but not strict paleo since they contain a small amount of sugar.
I know you will love these paleo vegan strawberry pop tart bars because they are nostalgic, simple to make, and so delicious! Here are some more berry desserts to try:
- Paleo Vegan Strawberry Crumb Bars
- Vegan Paleo Blueberry Pie Bars
- Paleo Strawberry Marshmallows
- Vegan Paleo Blueberry Cheesecake
Paleo Vegan Strawberry Pop Tart Bars
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoon strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 325° and line a 9 inch square pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt, vanilla, maple syrup, and coconut oil. Stir together until it is well mixed and everything is incorporated evenly. Press ½ of the mixture into the bottom of the pan and top with the strawberry jam, spreading evenly. Top with remaining shortbread. The best way to do this is take small pieces and press flat and then lay on top, pressing the edge of each piece together as best as possible. Bake for 30-33 minutes, until golden brown around the edges.
- Make the frosting. Make sure the coconut butter is soft. You may need to microwave it for 30 seconds and stir first. In a small bowl, combine the coconut butter, maple syrup, vanilla and water. Add the water as needed until smooth. Pour it over the bars and top with the sprinkles.
- Store covered in the fridge for up to 10 days.