This Healthy Monte Cristo Casserole has all the flavors of a monte cristo sandwich, but made easier. Layers of grain free bread, ham, turkey and goat cheese. Finished with raspberry jam for one delicious meal!
I’ve loved Monte Cristo sandwiches for many years, but haven’t had them in a while as I couldn’t tolerate cheese. Now that I do well with goat cheese, I knew I wanted to create this. Inspired by the sandwich, but made easy by layering all the ingredients. The salty/sweet combo is really irresistible and if you haven’t tried it yet, I highly recommend it.
This could easily be made paleo and dairy free by leaving the goat cheese out or using a dairy free cheese. All the other ingredients are paleo and I’ve had it without cheese and it’s still super delicious.
Brands of Ingredients
I use Base Culture bread that is paleo, but you can use any gluten free bread that works for you. Look for deli meat that has no nitrates or carrageenan- I used Applegate turkey and Natural Choice ham. Goat mozzarella was my choice for cheese since I can’t tolerate cow dairy and wanted a mild cheese. These are just the brands I used and know works, use what you have and love.
Don’t skip the raspberry preserves. It really ties the whole sandwich together. The sweetness balances the saltiness just perfectly. I like to look for a preserves that is just fruit or sweetened with just a little fruit juice.
This casserole makes such a good breakfast or brunch. It can be made ahead and leftovers are just as good.
I know you will love this healthy monte cristo casserole because it’s hearty, flavorful, and so tasty. Here are more casseroles to enjoy:
- Paleo Sausage Zucchini Breakfast Casserole
- Chicken Alfredo Casserole (paleo)
- Paleo Pesto Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole (paleo)
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Healthy Monte Cristo Casserole
- 8 slices grain free bread
- 12 slices smoked deli ham
- 6 slices deli turkey
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I use goat mozzarella)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- raspberry preserves for topping
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper or grease well with coconut oil.
- Lay four pieces of bread on the bottom of the pan, top with six slices of the ham, three pieces of the turkey and half the cheese. Repeat that layer once more and then with cheese.
- In a large glass measuring cup, mix the eggs, almond milk, and cinnamon together until well combined. Pour over the bread and meat mixture trying to make sure it totally covers and gets to the bottom of the pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until top is golden brown and edges look done.
- Top with raspberry preserves and serve warm.
- Store covered in the fridge up to one week.
Leave a Comment