This Paleo Whole30 Pesto Chicken Casserole is fresh, packed with fresh flavor and a great dinner. It’s gluten free, dairy free, and low carb.
The bright pesto, juicy tomatoes and tender chicken pair perfectly together and the spaghetti squash really has no flavor so it takes on all those flavors. It’s a great meal to make and then eat through out the week.
Egg Free Option
A common question I get with my other casseroles is why the eggs? They are just for binder- spaghetti squash is quite watery and the casserole wouldn’t hold together as well without them. Yes, you can leave them out, but it probably won’t cut as well or be pretty. I know some people can’t have them due to allergies or sensitivities, so they aren’t crucial for the taste, just the texture.
I used my paleo low FODMAP pesto for this recipe even though I’m not following a low FODMAP diet anymore. I still love using garlic oil for the flavor. You can use that recipe, it’s 1 batch, or another favorite pesto you may have.
This casserole is low FODMAP if using this pesto recipe!
Prepping the casserole
This does take a little time to prep, but is so wroth it. It reheats well so great to make ahead and rewarm for lunches. The squash can be cooked ahead and kept in the fridge. The chicken can be cut and stored in the fridge until needed. It’s cooked a little before added to the casserole, but won’t be fully cooked. It will finish cooking while the casserole bakes. I also like to make the pesto ahead so it can all come together quickly when I need it to. This whole casserole can even be fully prepped ahead and stored in the fridge. Let the dish come to room temperature before baking though.
If you want to know the easiest, best way to cook spaghetti squash, CLICK HERE for my step-by-step tutorial including making it in the Instant Pot in just 8 minutes.
I know you will love this paleo whole30 pesto chicken casserole because it’s comforting, filling, and delicious. Here are some more spaghetti squash casseroles to try:
- Whole30 Paleo Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Paleo Whole30 Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Whole30 Paleo Barbecue Chicken Casserole
- Paleo Whole30 Baked Spaghetti
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Paleo Whole30 Pesto Chicken Casserole
- 1 large spaghetti squash, cooked and shredded
- 1-1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup dairy free pesto
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved (2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease or line a 9×9 pan with parchement paper.
- Add the spaghetti squash to a large bowl.
- Add the chicken to a medium skillet with the avocado oil. Sprinkle on the salt and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Chicken won't be fully cooked at this point, but that's okay. Add the chicken to the spaghetti squash. Pour the pesto into the bowl and add in the eggs and tomatoes and stir well.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes, until edges are lightly browned. Serve warm.
- Store leftovers covered in the fridge up to a week.
Leave a Comment