These Paleo Apple Pie Crumb Bars are a delicious fall treat! Caramelized apples are layered on top of a sweet shortbread crust and then topped with an irresistible streusel topping. Gluten free, dairy free, and vegan!
After I made these Paleo Raspberry Crumb Bars I knew I wanted to do an apple version. Apples seem to kind of get looked over sometimes because everyone goes crazy for all things pumpkin. I agree pumpkin is great, but I also love apple desserts. These bars are no exception- they are amazing!
I bought some apple pie spice last year and absolutely love it! It's better than just plain cinnamon because it also has fenugreek, lemon peel, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. The combination of those spices is incredible and so warming. It's also found in the bulk section of seasonings at health food stores. Of course cinnamon can be used in it's place if you can't find it.
These bars are so simple to make. The shortbread crust is tried and true and always comes out perfect. Everything is quickly mixed in one bowl, ¾ of the mixture is pressed into a pan while the remaining ¼ is saved for the crumb top. While that is baking you make the apple filling. The apples are cooked briefly in a pan before being spread on top of the shortbread, then the crumb topping is added and it is baked again. So easy! Much easier than apple pie I might add 😉
The combination of the soft, melt-in-your-mouth shortbread, the caramelized cinnamon apples, and the crumb topping with a slight crunch makes a perfect bite. These bars will easily be enjoyed by everyone- whether they are paleo or not.
These bars have 3 layer of goodness that I know you will love. Like most paleo baked goods- enjoy warm then store leftovers in the fridge.
Paleo Apple Pie Crumb Bars
- remaining shortbread mixture (¼ of total)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- ¼ teaspoon apple pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a 9 inch square pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, make the shortbread. Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, and salt. Mix until well combined. Divide the dough into 4th's and use press ¾ into the bottom of the pan and save the remaining ¼ in a small bowl for the topping.
- Bake shortbread for 12-14 minutes- it should be lightly brown around the edges.
- While the shortbread bakes, make the apple layer. Place apples in a medium bowl and add apple pie spice, salt, and arrowroot powder. Toss to coat evenly. Dump into a small saucepan and add the maple syrup. Cook on medium heat, stirring the whole time, until thickened- about 5-7 minutes.
- Once shortbread is baked, remove and let cool 5 minutes. Then scoop the apple mixture onto the shortbread, spreading it as evenly as possible.
- Take remaining ¼ of the shortbread mixture and add the pecans and apple pie spice. Mix together and sprinkle evenly over the apple mixture. Press down slightly so it stays in place.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Enjoy warm and store all leftovers in the fridge.