These Paleo Sweet Potato Bacon Tots are easy, delicious, and a healthy version of the classic tot. The sweetness from the potato and the saltiness of the bacon is the perfect combination. Gluten free, dairy free, nut free, and egg free- you will love these!
This recipe is from The Paleo Kids Cookbook. It is such a great book filled with so many amazing recipes. I must say though, even if you don't have kids, you'll love this book! These sweet potato tots were a huge hit and I have already made a couple other recipes from the book. The Nut Cheese that is absolutely delicious and Pale-O's Cereal that my 11 month loves. I have many others bookmarked that I'll be making soon!
I decided to make a double batch of these tots- it just made sense. If I was going to cook a potato and bake bacon then I wanted a decent size serving. It worked perfect because 1 pack of bacon (12oz) is 10 slices. I doubled everything else and it made 22 tots- yay!
These are so good dipped in Chipotle Mayo! The sweet spicy combination is so delicious!
One thing I learned about these that I love is that they can be prepped ahead of time. I made and shaped them, then stored them in the fridge over night. They fried up perfectly the next day and held together with no problem. These would be great for game day- a fun appetizer that everyone would love!
You will love these sweet potato bacon tots because they are crispy, smokey, slightly sweet and so delicious! Here are some more appetizers to try:
Paleo Sweet Potato Bacon Tots
- 1 large sweet potato
- 5 strips crispy bacon chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup potato starch or cassava flour
- avocado oil for frying
- Boil the sweet potato submerged in water for 10 minutes. Remove and once cool enough, peel skin off. Grate the sweet potato on a hand grater.
- Use a hand towel or paper towels and squeeze all excess water from the potato. This step is important, as you do not want to have soggy tots.
- Add the bacon, garlic salt, onion powder, black pepper, and cassava flour. Mix by hand until fully combined.
- Begin shipping your tots, roll 1 tablespoon of dough between your hands in to a ball. Then elongate it and flatten the ends to give it that distinctive tot shape.
- Preheat oil in large skillet over medium/high heat; it doesn't need to be enough oil for deep frying, but enough to generously cover the bottom of the skillet.
- Fry the tots, rolling them around on all sides to make sure they crisp up. Once all sides are cooked, about 5 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a towel lined plate.