This Paleo Whole30 Homemade Italian Sausage is so easy to make and packed with flavor. A blend of savory seasonings make healthy, delicious sausage that is sugar free, low carb and low fodmap.
This recipe came out of necessity. We are on a low FODMAP diet which means no onion or garlic and finding sausage without those seasonings is almost impossible. I finally decided to just make my own and I’m so happy I did. It’s easy and way more affordable.
The base is ground pork, but you could use ground turkey if you want. I would not suggest the super lean kind because that is not as good. Fat is flavor! The rest of the ingredients are just seasonings that you very likely have.
Garlic oil is a very important ingredient. Sausage needs that garlic flavor and this oil adds great flavor without causing any stomach discomfort. If you don’t need it low fodmap, feel free to use some garlic powder.
You have 2 options on the sausage, patties or ground. They are both super easy and work for different things. Ground is great added to a marinara for spaghetti. Patties are great added to breakfast or eaten on the go.
My husband said these remind him of pizza because of the spices. It does make your house smell so good which is an added bonus. Make sure the Italian seasoning you use doesn’t have onion or garlic because some do. HERE is the one I have and it’s going to last me forever. This recipe is for 2 pounds of meat which I know not everyone eats in large quantities like us, so you can half the recipe if you want or just freeze the extra pound.
Even if you can have onion and garlic, making your own sausage is nice because you can control all the seasonings and you can make it whenever you want. Or maybe to don’t live near a store that carries a clean version- this is very likely! Here you go. Now you can have delicious Italian sausage 🙂
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Paleo Whole30 Homemade Italian Sausage
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 2 tablespoons garlic oil*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning (check for no onion or garlic)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- Preheat oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine pork, garlic oil, italian seasoning, parsley, red pepper flakes, paprika, salt, pepper, and fennel seed. Mix well until all the seasonings are evenly incorporated. Divide into 16 even patties, making them the same thickness, about 1/3 inch thick. Bake for 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook pork in the garlic oil over medium heat until mostly cooked through, 5-7 minutes. Drain fat if needed, a little fat is fine. Add in the italian seasoning, parsley, red pepper flakes, paprika, salt, pepper, and fennel seed and mix well. Cook for another couple minutes until well combined. Take off heat and use as desired.
Leave a Comment