This Paleo Whole30 Italian Wedding Soup is hearty, flavorful, and easy! Tender, juicy meatballs in a veggie filled broth that will sure to become a family favorite. Gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and low fodmap.
I did a poll on Instagram wondering what type of soups everyone is wanting. This one got so many votes that I decided to make it first. I have never made it before, but it’s simple and I’ll definitely continue making it. My husband who is into thick, hearty soups really liked it which surprised me since it’s more of a broth-y soup.
This soup isn’t hard to make, but definitely a little more hands on than my Paleo Creamy Chicken Tomato Soup or Paleo Stuffed Pepper Soup. It’s totally worth it though, and leftovers are just as good.
For the meatballs I did a pork/beef mixture and rolled them small- 1 1/2 teaspoons (1/2 tablespoon if you have that measuring spoon) big. It made 55 and I baked them while the soup cooked on the stove then added them in. The soup part is very simple, some broth, carrots, green onion and chopped spinach. This is a low fodmap version so no onion, garlic or celery (which needs to be lifted). If you can tolerate those, feel free to add them.
For the broth I made it homemade since it’s so hard to find low fodmap. I did just discover a broth powder that could be used, and I will be using for convenience. It’s made with organic chicken bones- that’s it! No flavorings and it adds protein. HERE is the link to that and you can use code “JAY10” for 10% off your order.
Traditional Italian Wedding Soup has little pasta added which is obviously not paleo or Whole30, but I love hemp seeds and add them wherever I can. They add great texture and mimic the pasta well. They’re optional, but I recommend trying them! They don’t add any flavor and they have so many health benefits.
This soup is so delicious! Tender vegetables, juicy meatballs, and flavorful broth. So great for the cool months. Who doesn’t love a soup with meatballs? Enjoy!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Paleo Whole30 Italian Wedding Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic oil
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 6-7 cup broth
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped green onion, about 2 bunches
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 4-5 cups chopped spinach
- hemp seeds optional
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, pork, salt, pepper, parsley, green onion and garlic oil. Mix well. Sprinkle gelatin on mixture and incorporate well. This is what helps hold the mixture together.
- Scoop mixture into 1 1/2 teaspoon balls, about 1 inch around. Roll and place on the parchment paper. You should get about 55 meatballs. Bake for 14 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, make the soup. In a large stock pot add the broth, carrots, green onion, and salt. Cook over medium heat until boiling. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the meatballs and spinach and cook 5 minutes.
- Optional but recommended: add 1-2 teaspoons of hemp seeds to each bowl of soup.
Leave a Comment