These Coconut Oil Apple Crumb Bars are so delicious- a simple shortbread crust, sweet cinnamon apples, and the best crumb topping. Made with coconut oil they are completely dairy free and you won’t even miss the butter!
These Coconut Oil Apple Crumb Bars are so easy to make. If you have ever felt intimidated by pie, then these are for you! Even though my pie skills have improved, I still feel more confident with desserts like this. They remind me a lot of apple pie, but in hand held form.
The base is a simple shortbread with only a few ingredients and then it’s filled with sliced apples and topped with a delicious crumb topping. The apples cook and get slightly soft, but still retain some of their crunch. The crumb on top brings it all together for one perfectly delicious bite. Shortbread usually relies on 3 ingredients- butter, flour, and sugar. Instead of butter, I used butter flavored coconut oil and it worked so great. It works just as good as butter and even has that distinct flavor. It is the perfect substitute!
I live in Michigan where apples are a pretty big deal. I always buy more than we can eat which means I get to bake with them and I have no problem with that. Cool crisp air, leaves changing colors, and apple bars baking in the oven – sounds like the perfect fall day! These coconut oil apple crumb bars are an amazing fall treat and here are more apple recipes to try:
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Vegan Apple Crumb Bars
- 1/2 cup butter flavored coconut oil
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300°F and line a 9×9 baking dish with foil. Spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine coconut oil, flour, sugar, and salt. Press evenly into the bottom of the pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking make the apple filling. Peel the apples and cut them into fourths, remove the core and cut each forth into 4-5 thin slices. Place all the slices in a large bowl and add sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Toss until all the apple pieces are coated with the mixture.
- Make the crumb topping: In a bowl or pie plate (what I find is the easiest), combine coconut oil, oats, flour, brown sugar, raw sugar, and cinnamon. Mix well- the best way to do that is with clean hands.
- Once the crust is done baking raise the oven temperature to 350°F. Evenly layer the apple slices on top of the crust (while still warm).
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the apples and bake 30-35 minutes. Eat warm or let cool to slice evenly.
I shared these with my brother who claimed they were the best apple bars he has ever had in his whole life! That is a pretty big compliment!! I know you will love these just as much as him. They also happen to be dairy free and vegan for those who follow those guidelines. I am sharing this recipe on Golden Barrel’s site- so click here to get the delicious recipe!
Leave a Comment