These Paleo Baked Apples with Crumble are easy to make and so delicious! Tender apples with a crunchy, sweet topping. They're gluten free, dairy free, vegan and naturally sweetened.
These baked apple are such a delicious fall treat. So simple yet so tasty! A great way to use up those apples you picked (or picked up from the store) 🙂 I do like to use organic apples since they are in the dirty dozen, of course you don't have to. Use what you have and love.
Vegan and Naturally Sweetened
These are vegan as long as you use butter flavored coconut oil in place of the ghee. They're sweetened with maple syrup and not overly sweet. The apple gets sweeter as it bakes and they definitely feel like a treat.
Apple Pie Spice
I love using apple pie spice in any apple recipe. The one I use is a combination of cinnamon, fenugreek, lemon peel, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. It adds so more more than just cinnamon. It's warm and cozy. I highly recommend trying it, but you can just use cinnamon if you want.
This caramel has been used for many recipes and never disappoints. It's a simple mixture of coconut oil, maple syrup vanilla and SunButter (or a nut butter you love). Mix it together and drizzle on top. If you haven't tried it yet, you are going to be amazed at how much it actually tastes like caramel with none of the work.
The middle of the apple needs to be scooped out. I used a melon baller which worked great because it's the perfect size and sharpness. You want to make a little well for the topping. A small spoon may work as well.
You will love these paleo baked apples with crumble because they are an easy, simple dessert that everyone will enjoy. Just a few minutes of prep and then baked to perfection. They're basically a baked caramel apple with some crumb topping- yum!
Paleo Baked Apples with Crumble
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup nut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375° and grease a 13x9 baking dish. Scoop out the core and a little extra of each apple, making a little well for the filling. Place them in the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the pecans, salt, apple pie spice, maple syrup and ghee. Mix well until combined and then evenly divide mixture between each apple. Press the mixture in the apple to make sure it stays.
- Bake 25 minutes, until the topping is lightly browned. Serve warm and drizzle with caramel if desired.
- Caramel: In a small bowl, combine coconut oil, maple syrup, nut butter, and vanilla together until smooth.