This Paleo Whole30 Cabbage Roll in a Bowl is a fun way to enjoy cabbage rolls without all the work. A quick, healthy dinner that is gluten free, dairy free, and so delicious! Instant Pot and stove-top instructions.
Okay, I'm just going to be honest and say it- I don't like cabbage! Now you know! I love to make this for my dad though who loves cabbage and highly approves.
It is kind of a cross between soup and a stir-fry consistency. It doesn't have a lot of broth, but could be considered a very hearty soup I suppose. You could add a little liquid and serve it as soup or even reduce the liquid down a little more if desired. However you want to eat it.
This is super easy to make and it makes so much! So great for leftovers, or meal prep, or a big crowd. The cabbage sounds like a lot -16 cups- but it cooks way down. I made this in the Instant Pot which made it super easy and quick, but I always get questions about stove-top instructions as well so I'll include that at the bottom.
Cabbage rolls traditionally have rice in them, but I didn't add any. It's hearty and filling enough without it, but if you want to add some rice feel free. Just stir it in at the end.
You will love this Paleo Whole30 Cabbage Roll in a Bowl because it's filling, packed with veggies, and so flavorful!
You may also enjoy my Paleo Whole30 Egg Roll in a Bowl- a reader favorite!
Paleo Whole30 Cabbage Roll in a Bowl
- Place the beef, garlic powder and salt in the instant pot and hit the "sauté" button. Cook until beef is browned, breaking the beef up and stirring as needed. This should take about 6 minutes.
- Add in the onion, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, coconut aminos, paprika, and oregano. Stir together, place the lid on, close the valve, hit the "manual" button and reduce the time to 10 minutes.
- Once that is done, hit "cancel" quick release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Add in the chopped cabbage, stirring it in so it all fits. Make sure it doesn't go over the max fill line. Place the lid back on, close the valve, hit the "manual" button, and reduce the time to 4 minutes.
- Hit "cancel", quick release the pressure and stir it again.
- In a large stock pot, add the beef, garlic powder, and salt. Cook over medium heat until browned. Add in the onion, tomato sauce, tomatoes, coconut aminos, paprika, and oregano. Cover and cook until onion is tender, about 10 minutes. Add in the cabbage, stir, cover and cook until cabbage is tender and cooked down- about 10 minutes.