These Coconut Oil Brownies are not your average brownies. They are so gooey, fudgy, and loaded with chocolate. The top has that perfect crackly surface that makes cutting it a little messy, but totally worth it! The contrast between crackly top and the smooth, rich center is amazing.
These are completely dairy and gluten free (as long as you use compliant ingredients), so they are perfect for anyone who may have an allergy or is avoiding those foods. I have made these many times and no one can tell that they are any different. The butter is not missed because the coconut oil keeps them rich and moist. I have used both almond flour and oat flour, so feel free to use either. Oat flour is a little more common because all it is ground up oats. They sell it in the store in the baking aisle, but you can make it yourself by throwing oats in the blender for a few seconds- so simple!
These are so simple to make. I know brownies were a little intimidating to me when I first started baking. Some recipes have so many steps and dirty dishes- not this one! This recipe is just as easy as a box mix, but way better! The eggs and sugar are mixed with a hand mixer and I know getting that out can be a pain- I totally agree. I rarely get mine out and usually just give my arm a good workout. But it’s pretty important for the eggs and sugar to be completely mixed and the mixer is the best way to guarantee that. It only takes a couple minutes so that’s not too bad.
A couple tips that I always do when making brownies to guarantee good results are to line the pan with parchment paper. This makes removing and cutting easier and it makes clean up quick. I also always let them completely cool before cutting so that the knife makes a cleaner cut. Although even cooled, they aren’t the prettiest brownies, but they are delicious! No one will care how they look once they sink their teeth into the fudgy, sweet, goodness.
You may notice that there is no leavening agent used and that is because I like brownies dense and fudgy and I don’t want them cakey at all. So I don’t want that rise that the baking soda or powder would give. It is also one less ingredient to worry about making them that much easier!
So the next time you get a craving for brownies, don’t be tempted to make the kind from a box. Make these- I guarantee you will absolutely love them!!
Here are more brownies to try:
Coconut Oil Brownies
- 1 ¼ cups chocolate chips dairy free if necessary
- ¾ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup oat flour gluten free if necessary
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips dairy free if necessary
- In a microwaveable bowl or measuring cup, combine the 1-¼ cups chocolate chips and coconut oil and microwave in 30 second increments until smooth. This should take around 1 - 1-½ minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 9x9 baking pan with foil or parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and eggs and beat with a mixer for 2-3 minutes until light in color and smooth. Add in chocolate mixture and vanilla and mix well.
- Fold in the oat flour and salt until just combined. Fold in the ½ cup chocolate chips and pour into the pan. Bake for 50 minutes then let them cool completely before cutting.