This Dairy Free Paleo Eggnog is thick, rich, creamy, and so delicious! Easily made with 6 simple ingredients. A seasonal drink made over to be so much healthier! You will love it.
I confess- I have never liked the store bought stuff eggnog. It tasted artificial and overly sweet. I was thinking I wasn't going to like my homemade version either, but I actually love it. It's just sweet enough to feel like a treat without tasting like pure sugar. It's spiced just right with cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg. And it's thick, but not so thick that it coats your mouth for 5 minutes.
Milk for Eggnog
I didn't want to use coconut milk for this because it's strong flavor would interfere with the spices. I was afraid it would be too coconut-y. So almond milk is used, but don't use that almond milk that is super low calorie because that's just basically water and it won't be thick and creamy. You can definitely use coconut if you prefer that flavor.
Getting perfectly thick eggnog
When I made this I was patiently stirring and when it finally thickened I was so happy. Then I added the vanilla extract and it completely separated the mixture. I decided to try and blend it up with my immersion blender before totally giving up and yay, it totally worked! Just a second of blending and it was mixed and thick again. So if it separates for you, just blend it quickly.
After making it, transfer the eggnog into a sealed container and let it chill in the refrigerator until thoroughly cooled. This process allows the flavors to meld together and results in a thicker consistency. After it has cooled, give it a final stir, pour it into glasses, dust the top with a touch of cinnamon, and it's ready to be served!
Adding alcohol to eggnog
This recipe is alcohol free and perfect for the whole family, but feel free to add rum or whiskey to make it a fun adult beverage. Add one shot (1.5oz) to every 8 ounces of eggnog.
Now it's your turn to whip up a batch of this dairy free paleo eggnog! Here are some treats to pair it with:
- Best Paleo Cinnamon Rolls
- Paleo Gingersnaps
- Easy Paleo Snickerdoodles
- Paleo Gingerbread Chocolate Chunk Brownies
Dairy Free Paleo Eggnog
- In a medium saucepan, combine the eggs, egg yolks, and maple syrup. Slowly whisk in the almond milk, making sure it mixes. Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
- Heat over low heat, whisking continually, until mixture thickens. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. This could take up to 20 minutes.
- Once thick, pour into a container and let cool at room temperature. Then refrigerate.
- Store in fridge up to 4 days. Stir or shake before serving.