These Gluten Free Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins are so quick and easy to make and are a great breakfast or snack. Dairy free and naturally sweetened.
This is a recipe my boyfriend has been making for years, originally from his mom. He’s changed it a bit along the way to make it how he enjoys best and I took it and made it gluten free which was super simple. He is a track coach and likes to share these with his kids throughout the season because they pack easily and are just as tasty throughout the week- not just good on the first day.
Gluten Free and Nut Free Muffins
These muffins use a gluten free flour blend and they also work with oat flour if you want to use that. Gluten free oats are used in these which are naturally gluten free, but they are regularly cross contaminated so look for ones that have gluten free on the label. One Degree Organic and Bob’s Red Mill are my favorites. They are naturally nut free, just be sure to use a nut free milk like coconut or oat.
Simple to make Muffins
These are so simple to make. They mix up in one big bowl, scooped into the muffin pan and baked. They stay good covered at room temperature for up to a week.
I use apple pie spice in these muffins which is my favorite whenever I bake with apple, but the original recipe calls for cinnamon and is what my boyfriend prefers. Do what you like best, they are good either way.
Simple Muffin Glaze
The glaze is really optional and not part of the original recipe. It’s hard for me to make a recipe without glazing it because it makes it look pretty and adds a little extra sweetness. My go-to is coconut butter and maple syrup thinned with water until the right thinness. Definitely try it if you have the ingredients, but don’t worry if you don’t, it doesn’t make or break the recipe.
I know you will love these gluten free applesauce oatmeal muffins because they are soft and fluffy with a tasty oat topping. A great snack or breakfast for on-the-go or anytime. Here are some more apple recipes to try and if you love these, check out my Gluten Free Banana Muffins.
- Paleo Apple Crisp Coffee Cake
- Vegan Paleo Apple Cinnamon Bars
- Paleo Apple Pie Crumb Bread
- Vegan Paleo Caramel Apple Cheesecake
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Gluten Free Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oats
- 1 1/4 cups sifted gluten free flour*
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice or cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk dairy free if needed
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup gluten free oats
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice or cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon room temperature coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-4 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line a muffin pan with 12 liners.
- In a small bowl make the crumb topping. Combine the oats, coconut sugar, apple pie spice and coconut oil together and mix until well combined.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and stir to combine. Add in the applesauce, milk, coconut oil, and egg and stir until fully mixed. Scoop evenly into muffin pan and top with oat topping. Bake for 15 minutes with gluten free flour or 16-18 minutes with oat flour.
- Store covered at room temperature for up to a week.
- Top with glaze if desired. Make sure the coconut butter is soft. You may need to microwave it for 30 seconds and stir first. Make the glaze: In a small bowl, combine the coconut butter, maple syrup, vanilla and water. Add the water as needed until smooth. Drizzle over muffins.
Leave a Comment