This Paleo Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake is a tender cake with a layer of sweet apples, topped with a delicious crumb topping and finished with a simple glaze. Make it for breakfast or dessert! It's gluten free, dairy free and naturally sweetened.
I have a paleo caramel apple coffee cake on my site already, but after making my paleo peach cobbler coffee cake, I knew I wanted to make another one with a layer of chunks of apples. The previous one is great, but the apple is shredded so the texture isn't there. You can't go wrong with either, just depends what you're looking for.
I brought this to a friends house and the four of us finished the whole thing for breakfast! It was nice to have it ready to go and pairs so well with a cup of warm coffee.
The glaze is a simple mixture of coconut butter (not coconut oil!), maple syrup and water. It adds a touch more sweetness and makes it look so pretty. It also helps hold the crumb topping on when eating it with your hands 😉
The apple layer is chopped up apple cooked with a little cinnamon and coconut sugar. It makes them tender, sweet and the cinnamon adds nice warmth. The apples will be added on top of the cake and then the crumb topping goes on top of them. They bake into the cake while still holding their texture, but becoming soft and more sweet. Really the apple/crumb part is my favorite!
Don’t be intimidated by what looks like a long ingredient list. A lot of it is repeated for the cake and crumb layer. It’s not as many ingredients as it seems. And so so worth it!!
I know you will love this paleo apple crisp coffee cake because it's moist, just the right sweetness and the perfect treat. Here are some more apple desserts to enjoy:
- Vegan Paleo Caramel Apple Crisp
- Paleo Apple Pie Crumb Bread (my fav!)
- Vegan Paleo Apple Cinnamon Bars
- Paleo Apple Cinnamon Glazed Cookies
Paleo Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- Make the crumb topping. In a small bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut sugar, salt, apple pie spice and coconut oil. Mix until combined and crumbly. Set mixture aside until needed.
- Make the apple layer. Add the ghee, apples, cinnamon and coconut sugar to a medium pan. Turn the heat to medium and cook, stirring regularly, for about 3-4 minutes or until the apples are tender. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a 8×8 or 9×9 square pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the cake. In a large bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt, apple pie spice and baking soda. Mix well and break up any large chunks. In a small bowl, stir together the maple syrup, applesauce, eggs, and cashew butter, mixing as best as possible. Add that to the dry mixture and stir until everything is well combined and no dry spots remain. Scoop mixture into the pan and spread evenly.
- Top evenly with apple mixture and then crumb mixture on top of the apples. Place in the oven and bake 40 minutes. Let cool before glazing.
- Make the glaze. Make sure the coconut butter is soft first. You may need to microwave it for 30 seconds and stir first. In a small bowl, combine the coconut butter, maple syrup, vanilla and water. Add the water as needed until smooth. Drizzle over coffee cake.
- Store cake covered in the fridge to keep fresh.