These Paleo Almond Butter Cups are easy, have only 5 ingredients, and are a healthy version of the popular candy. Gluten free, dairy free, vegan, and addictively good!
These Paleo Almond Butter Cups have quickly become a favorite in our house. I love how easy they are to make and being able to control exactly what goes in them. Only a few ingredients are needed to make a truly delicious treat!
Peanut Butter cups are so popular and making your own is easier than you may think! You most likely have all the ingredients already and it only takes a few minutes. They do have to chill in the fridge in-between steps, but there is nothing difficult or tricky about them. I have made 4 batches in the last couple weeks because they are so delicious and quick to make!
Using almond butter for the inside makes these paleo, and you can even use sunflower seed butter to make them nut free. They are naturally gluten free and are also dairy free and vegan. Don’t let those titles fool you into thinking they aren’t good though! They are sweet, rich, and will satisfy your sweet tooth. These are the perfect healthier homemade alternative to Reese’s. You will love them!
The homemade chocolate is so easy to make and naturally sweetened. The directions say 2-3 tablespoons because that is kind of personal preference. I made a batch for my dad and I used 3 tablespoons because I know he likes things a little sweeter, but the batch I made for myself I only used 2 tablespoons and they came out more like dark chocolate which is what I prefer. If you want them like the store bought kind then use 3 tablespoons.
These are best stored in the fridge because of the coconut oil – it has a melting point of about 77° so they will get soft if left out. They can be stored in the freezer as well.
Whether you fill them with almond butter or peanut butter, they are delicious! They are the perfect ratio of chocolate to nut butter and they are melt-in-your-mouth good!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Paleo Almond Butter Cups
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Almond Butter Filling
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Line 12 mini muffin tins with liners- parchment works the best.
- In a large sauce pan, combine coconut oil, cacao powder, maple syrup, and salt. Heat over medium heat and whisk until fully combined. As soon as it starts to boil, turn off the heat. Spoon about 1 tablespoon into each liner. Once they all have some chocolate in them, tilt the pan gently in a circle to get the chocolate to go up the sides a little. Leave the remaining chocolate in the pan for the top. Place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes- until they are fully hard.
- While they are chilling, make the filling. In a small bowl, combine nut butter and the maple syrup. Stir until well mixed. Remove the chocolate from the fridge and fill each one with a little of the nut butter mixture until all the mixture is used. Spoon the rest of the chocolate over the nut butter, making sure to completely cover it. *If the chocolate mixture has hardened, turn the heat on low until it’s smooth again.
- Place cups back in the fridge and let them chill for 20 minutes, or until they are completely hard. To easily remove cups, run a butter knife around the edges then peel off the liner. Store in the fridge or freezer.
Leave a Comment