This Paleo Banana Pudding is creamy, packed with banana flavor (of course), and so easy to make! Dairy free, refined sugar free and so delicious! 6 simple ingredients and less than 20 minutes of cooking until this sweet treat is ready.
Growing up I absolutely loved banana pudding. I actually think it was vanilla pudding with bananas in it- either way it was pure comfort food. Recreating this was so fun and there are actual bananas in it- imagine that! 🙂 Because bananas are so sweet it only needed a little sweetener. I decided on coconut sugar because it has kind of a carmel-y flavor that pairs so well with the bananas. Honey or maple would probably work, but I didn’t want any flavors competing with the bananas.
This pudding is so easy to make! Don’t be intimidated if you’ve never made homemade pudding before. I couldn’t believe how easy it was the first time I tried it. If you can make a box mix, you can make this! The gelatin is what makes it thick and creamy. If you have never tempered eggs before, it is simple. It just means drizzling the warm mixture into the eggs slowly while stirring so the eggs warm up and don’t cook when added to the pudding.
This pudding is thick, creamy, and so delicious ! I had to pair it with my Paleo Nilla Wafers– the two were made for each other! Actually, the reason I decided to make the wafers is because I knew I needed them for this pudding.
One important thing about the recipe is that ripe or barely spotted bananas are the best. If you have black bananas that need to be used, it’s better to use those for banana bread, not this pudding. I made one batch with very ripe ones and it came out bitter and just not as good.
You will love how easy this pudding is to make. A classic turned healthy and just as delicious!
Note: I always buy my gelatin from Perfect Supplements– it’s from grass-fed cows and such a great price. Use code “JAY10” for 10% off your order.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Paleo Banana Pudding
- 3 large bananas ripe but not black
- 1 13.5 oz can full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grass fed gelatin
- 3 egg yolks
- In a medium sauce pan, mash bananas and stir in coconut milk, coconut sugar, and salt. Sprinkle gelatin and let bloom for 5 minutes.
- Stir egg yolks together in a small bowl.
- Cook banana mixture for 5 minutes over medium heat, then temper the egg yolks and add them in. To temper the yolks, slowly pour some of the banana mixture into the bowl of yolks, stirring the yolks the whole time. I usually use about 1 cup of mixture to ensure the yolks have come up to temperature enough to be added to the rest of the banana mixture. Without doing this, the yolks would cook when they hit the warm pudding.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes on medium.
- If desired, puree with an immersion blender to get ultra smooth.
- Pour into glass container and store in the fridge.
Leave a Comment