This Paleo Whole30 Sausage Summer Vegetable Soup is easy to make and great for using all the summer veggies. Hearty, tasty, and healthy. Gluten free, dairy free, and low FODMAP.
I know soup and summer don’t exactly go together, but this is a great way to use all the summer veggies you are growing or buying and make it into a nourishing meal.
This is the third month of my healthy baking challenge. I know it’s not baking, but I wanted a Whole30 recipe included every time so everyone could participate. Last month was the Paleo Whole30 Pesto Turkey Burgers and Paleo Peach Pie Crumb Bars. It was so fun to see all the recreations of those recipes and I can’t wait to see these this month. Here are the instructions to enter:
- Make this recipe between July 1st-31st
- Once you make it, take a picture and post it on Instagram, Facebook, or email it to me: [email protected] (you don’t need to do all 3). If posting to Instagram, use the #realfoodbakingchallenge hashtag so I can find it. If your profile is private, send me a DM. If using Facebook, just post to my page and I’ll see it.
- Bonus entry if you come back and leave a review on the recipe you made
- I’ll randomly choose a winner to win $100 Amazon gift card. Yay!
- I also am sharing a Paleo Turtle Brownie recipe and if you make both recipes you are entered twice! Then we’ll start over the next month. I’m looking forward to seeing all the recreations.
Homemade Italian Sausage
Along with the veggies is a meat, and sausage is what pairs great since the soup needs some flavor. I use my homemade Italian sausage to keep it low FODMAP. It’s simple to make and so delicious. You can use ground turkey or pork- whatever you prefer. If you don’t need low FODMAP then you can use a store bought one, just check the ingredients for no added sugars or fillers. I know Pederson’s makes a good one.
Low FODMAP Soup
As written, this soup is low FODMAP. All the veggies are approved and using homemade sausage means no onion or garlic. I also use a Bone Broth Powder since all bone broth has onion and garlic in it. It’s an optional ingredient, but adds additional nutrition. Ancient Nutrition Pure or Turmeric is what I recommend as they don’t have any thickeners or added ingredients. If you don’t need this low FODMAP then feel free to use other veggies like onions, garlic, or any other summer veggie you have. You could also use a store bought bone broth in place of the water.
This soup comes together quickly once the veggies are chopped which is a reason I like to usually chop them ahead of time and store in the fridge until the day I make the soup. In just around 30 minutes it’s ready, not bad! You can even cook the sausage a day in advance to leave off that step. I also think this would be great in the Instant Pot, but haven’t tried it yet- I will update if I do. I’m thinking it would be around 8 minutes of cook time, then add the zucchini and cook for 10 minutes on “saute”. Let me know if you try it!
I think you will love this Paleo Whole30 Sausage Summer Vegetable Soup! I hope you try it and make sure to tag me, send me the pics, and come back to comment so you can be entered in the challenge.
Paleo Whole30 Sausage Summer Vegetable Soup
- In a large saucepan, add Italian Sausage. Cook over medium heat, breaking up as needed, until browned. Add in the tomatoes, carrots, bell peppers, green onion, water, salt, and bone broth powder (if using). Raise heat to medium/high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium/low, cover and cook 20 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add in the zucchini and cook an additional 10 minutes with no lid. Taste and add additional salt if needed. Top with fresh basil and serve. Also freezes great!