These Paleo Apple Cinnamon Upside Down Muffins are the perfect fall treat! Sweet, sticky apples and a fluffy, moist muffin. Gluten free, dairy free, and so delicious!
We went apple picking last week and it left us with a crazy amount of apples. Now I’m in apple-baking mode thinking of ways to use them all. These muffins came out so good and I’m so glad I thought of them. It’s kind of like a pineapple upside down cake, where the fruit is on the bottom at first then flipped to be on top. I actually wasn’t sure if it would work as muffins, but they turned out amazing and the flavor is exactly what I was going for. The muffin itself is not very sweet- only 1 tablespoon of maple is used and a little sweetness from the applesauce. It works perfectly with the topping though, that is sweet, gooey, and irresistible!
Baking with apples may be one of my favorite things. The aroma that fills the house is the best and a sure sign of fall. These not only smell great, though- they taste even better!
They are super easy to make. Only 2 dirty bowls- one for the apples and one for the muffins. The muffin mixture is mixed by hand and ready in just a couple minutes. You will love how quick they are to make.
The muffins are flipped upside down to reveal a delicious topping of caramelized apples and sweet cinnamon. I’m thinking you could add a few nuts in the bottom as well if you like them in baked goods- we prefer no nuts so I just did apples.
You will love how easy these muffins are to make and how tasty they are. I shared them with our neighbors you don’t follow any special diet and they absolutely loved them! So these are a muffin everyone will love. Enjoy!
Check out my other muffin recipes! Paleo Pumpkin Muffins, Paleo Breakfast Muffins, and Paleo Chocolate Banana Muffins.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Paleo Apple Cinnamon Upside Down Muffins
Apple mixture ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups diced apples about 2 1/2 apples
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Apple Bottom Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a muffin tin with 12 parchment liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine apples, coconut oil, coconut sugar and cinnamon. Toss together until all the apples are evenly coated. Scoop apples into each muffin liner, dividing as evenly as possible, and slightly press down.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut oil, maple syrup, applesauce, eggs, cashew milk, and vanilla. Stir until fully mixed.
- Add in the almond flour, coconut flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. Stir until fully combined and no dry spots remain.
- Spoon batter over apple mixture, dividing evenly between the 12 liners.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes, until the tops are slightly browned.
- Let cool about 5 minutes, then remove the muffins, flip upside down and peel off the liner.
Leave a Comment